Dantonio: Spartan football looking to build off 2013 success

It’s been just 82 days since the Spartans brought home the Rose Bowl trophy, but MSU already is preparing for the 2014 season. Head coach Mark Dantonio took the podium at the Clara Bell Smith Center to discuss the defending Big Ten champions as they head further into spring football.

Quarterbacks

Last season, it was a seemingly endless four-man race to see who would get the starting quarterback position.

This spring, rising junior quarterback Connor Cook will be looking to lead MSU to another storybook season after his breakout season in 2013. Behind him the situation isn’t bleak either, as sophomore Tyler O’ Connor and redshirt freshman Damion Terry back him up on the depth chart.

“You’ve got an MVP quarterback back, and not just one game but in two games,” Dantonio said. “So you’ve got to feel confident in our quarterback situation. I think we have three outstanding quarterbacks there, and one who has played at a very high level.”

Defensive backs

The “No Fly Zone” that helped propelled MSU to dominance will be without corner Darqueze Dennard and safety Isaiah Lewis this year, longtime standouts for the Spartan defense. S ophomore cornerback Darian Hicks and junior safety R.J. Williamson likely will be joining senior safety Kurtis Drummond and junior cornerback Trae Waynes in the starting lineup.

Drummond said despite losing two stars in their feared group, he doesn’t expect this spring to have a different feeling.

“I don’t know so much if it’s a new feel,” Drummond said. “Guys realize that we need to be better than last year. (Defensive coordinator Pat) Narduzzi always says ... ‘Darqueze Dennard was All-American, so we need another All-American corner. Isaiah Lewis was first-team All-Big Ten, so we need another first-team All-Big Ten safety.”

Offensive line

Dantonio was asked what position group is his biggest concern, and he pointed to the offensive line — the group looking to replace three starters.

The graduation of left guard Blake Treadwell, right guard Dan France and right tackle Fou Fonoti leaves holes to fill along the offensive front. In 2013, the Spartans utilized an unorthodox eight-man rotation of offensive linemen as they established themselves as one of MSU’s most dominant position groups.

Monday’s depth chart listed senior Travis Jackson at left guard, senior Connor Cruse at right guard and junior Donavon Clark at right tackle.

Linebackers

Losing three-year starting middle linebacker Max Bullough won’t be easy, but Dantonio said he feels “pretty secure” of the linebacker group.

It appears senior Taiwan Jones, a two-year starter at outside linebacker, will try sliding into Bullough’s old role in the middle as juniors Ed Davis and Darien Harris join him to form the starting trio.

Dantonio dropped the names of redshirt freshmen Jon Reschke and Shane Jones when talking about who can step up in the spotlight.

Davis also will be missing the majority of spring because of a shoulder surgery, Dantonio said.

Share and discuss “Dantonio: Spartan football looking to build off 2013 success ” on social media.