Team's 'No Fly Zone' locks down receivers

<p>Junior safety Kurtis Drummond runs after intercepting a pass Aug. 30, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated Western Michigan, 26-13. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Junior safety Kurtis Drummond runs after intercepting a pass Aug. 30, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated Western Michigan, 26-13. Julia Nagy/The State News

Most college football players can remember the moment they found the school that’s right for them. Just ask Kurtis Drummond.

The Masury, Ohio native visited East Lansing in 2009 during the first weekend of October, coming to town for the annual showdown between MSU and Michigan. Sixty minutes of football was worth a few more, as running back Larry Caper rumbled into the end zone on a 23-yard carry to win the game, sending Spartan Stadium into a state of frenzied jubilation.

Within hours, Drummond said he called head coach Mark Dantonio and defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi to inform them of his decision: “This is where I want to come and play.”

Now a junior safety, Drummond is one of the main catalysts of MSU’s (4-1 overall, 1-0 Big Ten) ‘No Fly Zone’ secondary unit, holding down the defensive backfield with the likes of senior safety Isaiah Lewis, senior cornerback Darqueze Dennard and sophomore corner Trae Waynes, among others. And it’s a moniker the entire unit takes seriously.

“We’re a pretty close group of guys and we wanted people to fear us,” Drummond said. “We’ve been known for the past few years for stopping the run. We just basically want teams to know they’re not going to be able to throw the ball on us, either.

“We made it as a challenge for ourselves and it’s a little bit more swag for us and we run with it.”

The term “no fly zone” originates in the world of aviation, meaning an area where aircrafts are not permitted to fly, usually enforced in times of war. For the Spartans’ secondary, it means don’t try to pass the ball in their direction.

If it happens, there’s consequences.

Those consequences have come in the form of six total defensive interceptions on the season, four of which came from players in the ‘No Fly Zone,’ with the other two coming from senior linebacker Jairus Jones and sophomore defensive end Shilique Calhoun.

“It’s basically like an attitude standpoint,” Waynes said. “It basically says what we’re trying to accomplish this year. We don’t want any passes on us, so it’s what we emphasize all of the time.”

One of the unit’s more established players, Dennard snagged two interceptions in the weekend’s 26-14 victory against Iowa — the third two-interception game of his career and the first since a 28-24 loss to Nebraska last season. The Spartans remain the top-ranked total defense in the country and currently are ranked eighth in the nation in passing yards allowed.

Of the success MSU’s defense has had this season, Dennard said it’s a point of pride among the different position groups, causing each to develop a nickname that fuels their passion on the field.

“Our defense, really, we all got our own groups,” Dennard said. “We’re known as the ‘No Fly Zone,’ the linebackers are known as the ‘Bombsquad,’ and the defensive line are known as ‘AWOL.’ Everybody in their own position groups has their own name.”

Dantonio has received universal praise for the success MSU’s defense has had in 2013, especially given the general ineptitude of the offense in contrast.

As the offense broke out for a strong showing against the Hawkeyes, the sights turned to the defense, who allowed two touchdowns to surrender the lead and end the first half on a sour note. However, the defense rebounded to hold Iowa scoreless for the remainder of the game, signaling that where the unit finishes is far more important than where it is right now.

“Well, again, I go back to what I said last week, so this is always good because if I can say this every week, we’re getting better and better and better,” Dantonio said. “But you evaluate our defense at the end of the year, not in the middle, because you really don’t know what’s going to happen.”

Recalling his recruiting process, Drummond said Dantonio and Narduzzi visited him at home and school, holding a meeting with he and his mother to discuss the future at MSU. The message? Strive for excellence, compete for playing time and be a part of the Spartan family.

That family comes alive in the ‘No Fly Zone,’ mobbing him after a Jones interception-turned-lateral touchdown against Western Michigan and later with several players jumping on Drummond’s back in triumph after a highlight reel one-handed interception in the same game.

This is the reality in the Spartan secondary. And they do it as well, if not better, than anyone in college football.

Yet, as time moves along, Drummond said the unit stays grounded, looking to dominate opposing offenses one game at a time.

“We’re still working every day and we’re not gonna be satisfied,” Drummond said. “I don’t think (secondary coach Harlon) Barnett will ever let us be satisfied. He tells us to remain humble and hungry and that’s the type of guys he’s recruiting.”

Share and discuss “Team's 'No Fly Zone' locks down receivers ” on social media.