Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Administration cites safety as reason for class cancellation

The safety of basketball fans headed to Breslin Center this evening was one of many factors behind the decision to keep the university closed until 5 pm, officials said.

University spokesperson Kent Cassella told The State News that although athletic director Mark Hollis is among other administrators in charge of making the decision to cancel classes, Hollis prioritized the well-being of students over MSU’s 9 p.m. basketball game against Ohio State.

“The primary concern for everyone at the university is always the safety of our students, faculty, staff and specifically for this game, the fans,” he said.

Kevin Pauga, director of basketball operations, said he first learned about the class delay via email on Tuesday morning and did not consider the game the primary factor in the decision.

Wind chills are expected to stay low tonight. The National Weather Service in Grand Rapids is predicting temperatures of around minus 18 through the early evening until tip-off with temperatures warming up slightly but still remaining at around minus 10, according to meteorologist Brian Meade.

“When the wind calms down a little bit (the temperature) will get a little bit better,” he said. “But it will still be very cold.”

Izzone members will not be allowed to wait outside before 6:30 p.m. according to an email sent to Izzone members by the Association of Future Alumni. MSU Police will remain outside monitoring the Breslin and will turn away anyone who arrives before 6:30 p.m.

Classes were canceled because wind chill temperatures remained low later in the day than initially expected.

MSU police will offer a free shuttle service from the parking garage on Trowbridge Road near the Communications, Arts and Sciences building starting at 7:30 p.m. There also will be free shuttles starting at 7:30 p.m. from lot 79 on the south side of Spartan Stadium and Lot 62 near Red Cedar Road.

Share and discuss “Administration cites safety as reason for class cancellation” on social media.