Report: ELPD responded to minimum of 57 fires, made at least 15 arrests after Big Ten Championship game

Police responded to a minimum of 57 fires throughout the city and made at least 15 arrests after MSU’s win in the Big Ten Championship game against Ohio State, according to a weekend report released Monday morning by the East Lansing Police Department.

An additional statement from the city said the department is “still gathering information” about the weekend’s events and stated a release with updated statistics will be coming this afternoon.

A call to East Lansing police Capt. Jeff Murphy was not immediately returned.

According to a previous statement from police, East Lansing police and fire units responded to Cedar Village at about 4 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 8 on reports of multiple fires and crowds.

Reports and sightings of couches burning throughout the city began immediately after the game’s conclusion.

Officers on scene at Cedar Village that night told reporters from The State News they thought they were dealing with a riot. The official statement that came the next morning called the event a “large civil disturbance.”

The weekend report indicates 12 MSU students were arrested, as well as one MSU alumnus and two others with unknown affiliation to the university.

Police have indicated they will be actively pursuing charges against any people involved in the incident.