Police seek charges against those involved in Cedar Village revelries

<p>Police outfitted in riot gear take down a participant in the streets of Cedar Village on Dec. 8, 2013. The police and fire department responded to multiple fires across East Lansing. </p>

Police outfitted in riot gear take down a participant in the streets of Cedar Village on Dec. 8, 2013. The police and fire department responded to multiple fires across East Lansing.

Police intend to press charges against anyone who participated in Sunday morning’s festivities in Cedar Village.

East Lansing police arrived at the scene at about midnight after receiving calls about several fires and large crowds immediately following MSU’s victory against Ohio State, according to a statement from police.

Although police responders on scene referred to the situation as a riot, statements from police have deemed it a large civil disturbance. Several arrests were made on site, and there are no reported injuries at this time.

As the night progressed, hundreds of people flocked to the area, creating several large fires and throwing surrounding objects into the blaze.

Police did not address the amount of damage caused to property and the surrounding area in their initial statement.

No chemicals were used to break up the crowd. East Lansing police later were assisted by MSU police, the Ingham County Sheriff’s Office and Michigan State Police.

East Lansing police Capt. Jeff Murphy was not immediately available for comment.

Anyone with information regarding identification of those who participated in the incident is encouraged to call East Lansing police at 1800-ELPD-TIP.

Share and discuss “Police seek charges against those involved in Cedar Village revelries” on social media.