Hockey hopes to see boost as Berry, Draeger return

<p>Junior right wing Matt Berry goes after the puck during the game against Western Michigan on Nov. 22, 2013, at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans lost to the Broncos, 2-0. Khoa Nguyen/The State News</p>

Junior right wing Matt Berry goes after the puck during the game against Western Michigan on Nov. 22, 2013, at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans lost to the Broncos, 2-0. Khoa Nguyen/The State News

Photo by Khoa Nguyen | The State News

Not a whole lot has been going right so far this season for MSU (3-7) after dropping two more games this past weekend to extend the team’s current losing streak to four, but the return of a couple Spartan stars could change the team’s fortune.

Both junior forward Matt Berry and sophomore defenseman John Draeger made their first appearances of the season Friday night against Western Michigan after missing the first eight games of the season because of lower body injuries.

Berry was the leading scorer on the 2012-13 team with 31 points, and Draeger was one of four Spartan freshmen to appear in all 42 games last year, ranking third in the country for blocked shots with 89.

“Based on last year, we know what those guys can bring and so … that leaves a pretty big hole both up front and our scoring,” head coach Tom Anastos said. “It will be helpful as they get their legs under them to make a greater contribution, and I think that will take a little time. They have played games one and two and are in essentially September shape, and (there are) guys who are playing games nine and ten in November shape.”

Both Berry and Draeger said they felt good on the ice health-wise and didn’t have any issues but still need to get back into game shape.

Berry finished the weekend series with five shots and a -1 plus/minus, with Draeger already racking up five blocked shots, but a -3 plus/minus.

While both still are getting back in the flow, senior forward and captain Greg Wolfe is excited what the return of the two will add to the team.

Wolfe said both still are in the process of getting back into game mode, but will bring more experience to a rather young team.

“It’s going to be a huge help for us, they’re both really skilled players, we’ve missed them so far,” Wolfe said. “Once they get back in the swing of things, get their timing down, they’re going to really help us out. Berry’s an offense threat obviously, so soon as he gets going, it’s going to make our team better. (Draeger) is really good defensively and a smart player.”

One of area that could see a quick impact is the powerplay unit, which currently is one of the worst in the country. The Spartans’ powerplay is 4 of 47 on the year, ranking last in the Big Ten and 56 out of 59 teams overall. Berry believes the returning duo will add experience and potentially jump start the special teams unit.

“I think that should definitely help, since guys who have been playing the powerplay might be missing us a little bit since they are used to us out there,” Berry said. “Now that we’re back, hopefully we can really get the powerplays in sync and working good together again and hopefully we can just start scoring.”

Share and discuss “Hockey hopes to see boost as Berry, Draeger return ” on social media.