Dawkins named as next Vice President for Strategic Infrastructure Planning and Facilities

A pool of 100 candidates for MSU’s new Vice President for Strategic Infrastructure Planning and Facilities, or VP for SIPF, was narrowed down to one today when the recommended candidate was announced.

MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon recommended Kemel Dawkins to be the next VP for SIPF. The announcement comes more than two months after Dawkins was named as one of the three finalists for the position.

“Kemel Dawkins brings years of experience and a strong depth of knowledge to this critical position,” Simon said in a statement. “We are looking forward to his leadership as we strive to be recognized as among the nation’s highest performing infrastructure and facilities operations.”

The position has oversight of the entire physical being of MSU’s campus, including dorms, classroom buildings, roads, landscaping and underground steam tunnels. The budget for the department is about $400 million a year — a large chunk of the more than $1 billion annual budget of university.

The appointment is subject to the approval of the MSU Board of Trustees. If the board approves, Dawkins’ would begin his employment at the university on Jan. 1, 2014. The next board meeting is scheduled for Dec. 13.

Dawkins is the executive vice chancellor for administration at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. He currently oversees many functions of the university, including facilities planning.

“Michigan State’s Infrastructure Planning and Facilities team has a strong national reputation,” Dawkins said in a statement. “Since my first visit to East Lansing I have come to understand that its reputation is driven by the high quality and dedication of its team.”

Dawkins would replace Ron Flinn who has worked at MSU for more than 50 years.

Share and discuss “Dawkins named as next Vice President for Strategic Infrastructure Planning and Facilities” on social media.