Vice President for Strategic Infrastructure Planning and Facilities finalists named

Every building, field, road, tree and tunnel on MSU’s campus is under the control of the Vice President for Strategic Infrastructure Planning and Facilities, or the VP for SIPF — a position that will change hands by the end of September.?

“This position touches everybody on campus,” said Bill Latta, assistant vice president for operations and chair of the search committee for VP for SIFP.?

Dennis Bailey, Kemel Dawkins and Doug Wise were named as the final three candidates for the position on Tuesday. They were chosen from almost 100 applicants who applied during the national search, which has been in process since March 2013.

The VP for SIPF is responsible for about $400 million a year that goes toward operating expenses, renovations and new construction on campus, according to the position description.?

Latta said the position oversees the overall physical appearance of the university and campus experience — everything from classrooms to residence halls to roads.?

“It has to work, but it also has to be a pleasant place you want to be and belong to,” he said. “It’s important to maintain function and quality of experience.”?

Latta added that the physical appearance of MSU’s campus plays an important role in attracting potential students.?

Bailey is currently the associate vice president for facilities at Florida State University. Dawkins is the executive vice chancellor for administration at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey. He currently oversees many functions of the university, including facilities planning. Wise is a facilities and planning engineer and last worked as the chief engineer of operations and readiness at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio.?

All three candidates will visit MSU and meet with MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon, who will choose one to recommend to the MSU Board of Trustees. The board has the final say in appointing a new VP for SIPF.?

The selection committee that chose Bailey, Dawkins and Wise is made up of administrators, faculty and students, including representatives from ASMSU, MSU’s undergraduate student government, and the Council of Graduate Students.

Share and discuss “Vice President for Strategic Infrastructure Planning and Facilities finalists named” on social media.