Volleyball suffers first Big Ten loss against Minnesota

After a thrilling 14-4 comeback in the first set, it seemed as though the Spartans were on their way to another Big Ten victory.

Perhaps the improbable first set comeback drained them. Or maybe it was simply an off-night.

No matter the reason, the Spartans couldn’t keep the momentum going against No. 10 Minnesota.

The No. 5 MSU volleyball team (17-2 overall, 6-1 Big Ten) couldn’t capitalize on a 2-1 match lead, falling to the No. 10 Gophers (10-2, 5-2) in five sets (25-23, 21-25, 26-24, 22-25, 7-15) on ESPN2.

The Spartans totaled 40 errors and were their own worst enemy at times. The loss ends MSU’s fifteen-match winning streak, which dates back to Aug. 31 when MSU fell to Pacific in straight sets, 3-0.

MSU started the first set with sloppy play, and Minnesota capitalized. Spartan errors scored seven of Minnesota’s first 10 points. The Gophers remained in control, eventually leading the Spartans 19-11.

MSU proceeded to begin one of the most improbable set comebacks of the season. Minnesota committed an error, and freshman middle blocker Allyssah Fitterer, senior outside hitter Lauren Wicinski and senior middle blocker Kelsey Kuipers scored three kills, and Fitterer followed with a service ace. Minnesota called a timeout.

The Spartans continued the barrage of points. The run finished at 14-4 — and a set one victory for MSU.

The Sports Pavilion, Minnesota’s multi-purpose sports arena, was temporarily silent. It didn’t take long for the crowd to find its voice again.

The Gophers bounced back to take set two, 25-21.

It was a hard fought set that saw four lead changes and nine ties. However, Minnesota pulled away when sophomore outside hitter Daly Santana scored two kills to put the lead at 22-21. Santana proceeded to finish the match with consecutive service aces.

MSU regained control by winning a tough set three, 26-24.

Set three saw six lead changes and ten goals. Both sides were tied 20-20 before taking a two-point lead after two kills from Wicinski. The Spartans eventually closed out the match with a kill from Reinig and Wicinski each.

Despite trailing late in the fourth set, Minnesota grinded out a win, 25-22.

The Spartans held a 19-17 lead, but couldn’t build on it. Two Minnesota blocks tied the game at 19, and later went up 22-20 on two straight kills. MSU head coach Cathy George called a timeout, but it was to no avail. Kuipers scored a kill, but Minnesota sealed set five after an MSU error and a kill of their own.

With a perfect Big Ten record on the line, MSU failed to execute in the fifth set. Minnesota smelled blood.

With both teams tied at 5-5, the Gophers scored two straight kills. George called a timeout after the Gophers took an 11-6 lead, but one again, it was fruitless. Minnesota outscored the Spartans 4-1, ending the match.

The Spartans will return to action Sunday, where they’ll look to bounce back against No. 15 Wisconsin at 2 p.m. The game will be televised on BTN.

Share and discuss “Volleyball suffers first Big Ten loss against Minnesota” on social media.