Text messages used as evidence in Connor McCowan trial

<p>Okemos resident and alleged murderer Connor McCowan and defense attorney Linda Widener talk after Friday&#8217;s trial testimony in Ingham County Circuit Court concludes. Margaux Forster/The State News</p>

Okemos resident and alleged murderer Connor McCowan and defense attorney Linda Widener talk after Friday’s trial testimony in Ingham County Circuit Court concludes. Margaux Forster/The State News

Text messages exchanged between Okemos resident Connor McCowan and MSU student Andrew Singler were used as evidence in McCowan’s trial Friday morning in Ingham County Circuit Court, shedding light on the night McCowan allegedly stabbed and murdered Singler.

After a night of drinking, Singler and his girlfriend, Connor McCowan’s sister Shay McCowan, had a disagreement over Singler’s misplaced keys and the two separated, Singler’s former roommate Tyler Aho said. Aho testified earlier this week that he picked up an intoxicated Singler the night of Feb. 23, taking him to their apartment in Meridian Township.

Texts between Connor McCowan and Shay McCowan also were used as evidence. After Aho picked up Singler that night, Singler texted Shay McCowan, calling her an “immature dumb*ss” and threatening to break up with her. Meridian Township police investigator Greg Harris read the texts aloud to the jury.

“I hope losing all my keys was worth it,” Singler texted Shay McCowan. “Good luck finding someone like me, I’m f***ing done.”

Earlier in the evening, Shay McCowan texted her brother that Singler had broken one of her ribs and was calling her names. Connor McCowan then texted Singler attempting to reason with him, only to end up arguing.

The situation escalated, with Connor McCowan threatening to come to Singler’s apartment and confront him.

“I have no problem finding you just to f***ing whoop your a**,” McCowan said to Singler. “Then you wouldn’t have a problem if I showed up at your place right now, huh?”

Aho testified the two came to blows around 4 a.m. in the doorway of the apartment, ending with Connor McCowan allegedly stabbing Singler.

Ingham County Assistant Prosecutor John DeWayne said he plans to have Shay McCowan testify in the trial when court resumes on Monday.

Staff reporter Derek Gartee contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Text messages used as evidence in Connor McCowan trial” on social media.