Month of awareness on domestic violence closes

<p>Lansing resident Amber Mandalari, right, comforts graduate student Cortney Vandegrift, left, on Oct. 3, 2013, outside the Lansing City Council Office. The event was meant to honor those who have been affected by domestic violence. Khoa Nguyen/The State News</p>

Lansing resident Amber Mandalari, right, comforts graduate student Cortney Vandegrift, left, on Oct. 3, 2013, outside the Lansing City Council Office. The event was meant to honor those who have been affected by domestic violence. Khoa Nguyen/The State News

Photo by Khoa Nguyen | The State News

With several reported cases of domestic assault occurring this fall and Domestic Violence Awareness Month coming to a close, police and experts say students and residents alike should keep the prevalence of such issues in mind.

At least four domestic assaults have occurred on MSU’s campus this fall, with three involving students. MSU police Sgt. McGlothian-Taylor said she does not see a recurring trend with domestic assaults among students.

Domestic abuse isn’t always found within a physical altercation, MSU Safe Place director Holly Rosen said. At times, it manifests verbally, happening so subtly the victim isn’t even aware of it.

“A lot of people are being abused, and they don’t even know it,” Rosen said. “Having a month designated to domestic violence, it helps us bring awareness in a different way. MSU students need to remember that domestic violence affects all of us.”

MSU Safe Place provides aid for students, faculty and staff with domestic abuse situations through counseling, advocacy and even providing undisclosed shelter for victims to escape their partners. Each October, the organization sponsors a candlelight vigil in Lansing to remember victims of domestic abuse, as they did earlier this month with other members of the MSU and Lansing communities.

The abuse can include any situation where one partner feels controlled by the other. Typically, the victim feels scared, silenced or trapped in the relationship, Rosen said.

This December, a domestic abuse case involving an MSU student will reach 54-B District Court.

On Oct. 19, East Lansing resident Samuel Roberts was arrested for allegedly assaulting his ex-girlfriend, an MSU student, holding her in his apartment against her will and threatening her with a knife.

East Lansing police Capt. Jeff Murphy said the victim told police she attempted to alert authorities when Roberts took her cell phone.

He said she managed to escape, returning to her dorm in Yakeley Hall to call the police. Roberts will appear for his pretrial on Dec. 3, with his preliminary exam following Dec. 6.

Although MSU’s student database lists Roberts as a student, MSU officials said they could not confirm whether Roberts attends the university.

Rosen said the lack of dating experience many college students have can keep them from seeing their significant other as abusive.

“For some, it’s their first long-term relationship and they may not have much to compare it to, so it makes them more vulnerable at times,” she said. “At the college age, it’s popular to experiment with alcohol and drugs. It does not cause (abuse), but a lot of people believe someone is only abusive when they’re drinking, which is a common myth.”

Students and faculty who are victims of domestic abuse are encouraged to contact MSU Police, MSU Safe Place at 517-355-1100 or the Sexual Assault and Relationship Prevention Program at 517-355-8286

Share and discuss “Month of awareness on domestic violence closes” on social media.