Sunday, October 27, 2024

Impact 89FM up for nat'l award despite funding issues

<p>Mechanical engineer senior Eric Schendel DJs for <span class="caps">MSU</span>&#8217;s Impact radio station. Impact has been nominated for College Radio Station of the Year honors. Margaux Forster/The State News </p>

Mechanical engineer senior Eric Schendel DJs for MSU’s Impact radio station. Impact has been nominated for College Radio Station of the Year honors. Margaux Forster/The State News

Despite so far losing its student tax funding for the second straight academic year, Impact 89FM has been nominated for the 2013 College Radio Station of the Year Award, given by the College Music Journal, the top North American journal for college radio.

Impact 89FM will be competing against three other college radio stations for the award.

Impact 89FM General Manager Ed Glazer said this is the second time that the radio station received this nomination, and said that it’s a result of hard work on the part of station members.

“We’re really excited about it and we hope that we get it this time,” Glazer said.

Station personnel are getting ready to travel to New York City for the College Music Journal conference and the award ceremony, which will be held on Oct. 17. Glazer said everyone attending the conference will vote for the top prize, including college station personnel, personnel from the radio and music industries and band members performing during the conference.

Glazer said station personnel have been doing the best they can to keep the station operating smoothly, given that they are using security funds for financing.

The radio station is going into its second year without receiving $300,000 worth of student tax dollars, after ASMSU and the Council of Graduate Students, or COGS, requested the station conduct comprehensive financial reviews in December 2012.

“There were a few questions that we had at that time, one of which was that the MSU Radio Board had not met,” COGS President Stefan Fletcher said.

At the time, ASMSU officials thought that other tax-funded organizations, like Impact 89FM, should be undergoing the same accounting standards as ASMSU, said Matt Franks, ASMSU director of public relations. The student government also had been asked to run audits, after which the administration demanded the transfer of all of ASMSU’s off-campus funds to an on-campus account.

The student governments, which sponsor the station, also were concerned about what sort of financial records the station had.

Glazer said the MSU Radio Board, which oversees Impact 89FM, hadn’t met for about five years prior to 2013. The board was never called for a meeting after one member of the board left and was never replaced.

Fletcher said both student governments wanted to make sure the radio station was “operating in a manner that is consistent with its mission.” Both organizations had to ensure that the student taxes were being used appropriately through proper practices.

The station has been doing a lot of partnering to counter the effects of not receiving the student tax. They started promoting for other groups and organizations, like the Black Sheep newspaper. In return, the organizations would raise awareness about Impact 89FM and its events while the station uses reserve funding.

Despite the station keeping up programming quality, they have started to struggle with their equipment’s upkeep, Glazer said.

“Some equipment repairs are necessary… we’re starting to feel uncomfortable with the equipment,” Glazer said.

Glazer said he is hoping to get a resolution by December.

Share and discuss “Impact 89FM up for nat'l award despite funding issues ” on social media.