Alleged I-96 shooter pleads no contest in complex Oakland County case

<p>Casteel</p>

Casteel

The alleged I-96 shooter, an MSU alumnus, pleaded no contest but mentally ill Wednesday afternoon for felony assault and weapons charges in Oakland County.

Raulie Casteel, 44, will be sentenced in Oakland County on Jan. 30. He was arrested last Nov. 5 and faces 18 charges: nine counts of assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder and nine felony firearms counts, Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper said.

Casteel allegedly went on a shooting spree last fall involving shots fired toward 24 people between Oct. 16 and 27 of last year while driving on the I-96 corridor. Only one person was injured by the stray bullets.

At the time, his former roommate at MSU said the incident was completely unexpected and shocking.

Casteel attended MSU from 1995 to 1997 and graduated with a degree from the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources.

The incident spanned across four counties, including Ingham. Cooper said it took some time to explain the multitude of incidents to the judge.

“It took an hour and a huge map showing the interstate so the judge could understand all the charges,” Cooper said. “It doesn’t take into account all of the other counties.”

Although an independent psychological exam revealed Casteel suffers from delusional disorder, he was found competent to stand trial in January.

Casteel also faces terrorism charges in Livingston County, where he could face life in prison if he is convicted.

He is expected to stand trial in January.

Share and discuss “Alleged I-96 shooter pleads no contest in complex Oakland County case” on social media.