Wicinski closing in on record

<p>Wrobel</p>

Wrobel

Two thousand kills — it’s an exclusive sorority.

Former volleyball player Jenna Wrobel, who will be inducted into the MSU Athletics Hall of Fame today, reached the 2,000 career kills almost two decades ago. She currently stands as the all-time MSU leader in career kills with 2,292, and is 18th overall on the NCAA all-time career kills list.

Senior outside hitter Lauren Wicinski is hot on the heels of Wrobel’s record. Wicinski, who leads all active players nationally in kills, kills per set (4.80), attempts (4,441) and aces (229), currently totals 1,945 kills and can possibly reach the 2,000-kill milestone this weekend.

If Wicinski matches last year’s kill total of 571, she’ll not only crush Wrobel’s all-time career record, but enter the ranks of NCAA lore as one of the 20 highest kill-getters ever.

“It’s kind of crazy, I just don’t really think about it,” Wicinski said. “I don’t count my kills. It’s just … awesome that I’m in such a great place and that I’m able to accomplish that.”

Volleyball head coach Cathy George put Wicinski’s approaching accomplishment into perspective at her weekly press conference on Tuesday.

“Two thousand kills is amazing,” George said. “That’s 500 kills per season, and she actually had 600 last year in the Big Ten, in the best conference in the country. She’s way beyond what most people do.”

Despite 2,000 kills being a rare feat, junior libero Kori Moster said with knowing Wicinski, the number shouldn’t surprise anyone.

“We all know that she’s someone that’s going for a kill every time, and more times than not, she’s going to get it” she said. “That’s something that’s really cool about her and something that she definitely helps set our team apart and helps us get to that higher level that we want to be at.”

Wrobel holds eight school records and was a freshman on the MSU 1995 Final Four team. She will become the fourth MSU volleyball player to enter the Hall of Fame, joining Val Sterk (2007), Dana Cooke (2011), and Diane Spoelstra (2012).

George also has some personal history with Wrobel.

“She’s an outstanding player — actually went on to play with me in the World University Games team and then play with the U.S. national team and then professionally,” George said….

Wicinski cites Wrobel as a personal inspiration. Wicinski and Wrobel never met face-to-face, and she looks forward to meeting the MSU legend at the ceremony.

“It’ll be exciting to see her speak on Thursday and get a chance to talk to her a little bit,” Wicinski said.

George points out Wicinski’s attitude, will and strength as attributes that set her apart.

“She really doesn’t back off and keeps her mind in the moment,” George said. “That is unheard of, really getting over 2000. You don’t see that much in the history of NCAA volleyball. She’s done a great job, and we’re excited about those records for her.”

Share and discuss “Wicinski closing in on record” on social media.