Volleyball takes home three wins at Va. Tech

Going into the Hokie Invitational at Virginia Tech this weekend, volleyball head coach Cathy George planned to dig deep into her bench. The plan was to see which players, particularly her freshmen, would be able to handle roles in the rotation this season.

A few injuries, however, might have helped to speed up the feeling-out process.

The Spartans (3-1 overall) lost junior outside hitter Taylor Galloway to injury against St. Francis in game one of the invitational. Along with losing freshman middle blocker Chloe Reinig last week to illness, who was initially slated to start, and sophomore setter Halle Peterson to injury, George was forced to think outside the box for her lineup.

The team got off to a hot start with 3-0 wins against St. Francis and Towson on Friday. However, lineup adjustments led to a loss of momentum Saturday morning, leading to a game three loss vs. Pacific that day.

Junior defensive specialist Ryian Hubbard filled in as setter, a position she hadn’t played since high school. Freshman middle blocker Autumn Christenson filled in for Galloway and was moved to the outside hitter position, a spot she had never played before. And freshman middle blocker Allyssah Fitterer came in and, as George said, changed the course of the 3-2 comeback win vs. Virginia Tech on Saturday evening with her clutch blocks.

The roster versatility that both George and the players emphasized at the volleyball media day was both proven and highlighted during the weekend. The team recovered from a 0-2 deficit in game four against Virginia Tech. Despite players still feeling out their abilities in new roles, they were able to rally for the win.

“I thought we showed tremendous character throughout the weekend,” George said.

“We had been dealt a couple blows, but we really were resilient and we have some great contributions from players in areas.”

For Christenson and Fitterer, it was their first official taste of game action. George leaned heavily on them, and they delivered.

“Surprisingly I wasn’t nervous because I had been playing with these girls and been with these girls, and I know they have my back and we have each other’s backs, so I was confident coming in,” Christenson said. “I just know I have to play my game. When Taylor went down, I knew I had to step in for her.”

Christenson played perhaps her best game in the loss against Pacific, in which she tied senior outside hitter Lauren Wicinski for most kills on the team with eight each. Christenson also had seven kills and four digs against Virginia Tech.

Fitterer gave a big performance in the aforementioned Virginia Tech game, in which she posted nine blocks and three kills.

Wicinski added the fact that the team was able to overcome adversity speaks to the team’s ability to come together.

“We went into the huddle and said ‘Hey, we don’t want this to define us,’” Wicinski said. “We came out and we were fired up and just worked really well together and came out with a win. So it was great.”

Share and discuss “Volleyball takes home three wins at Va. Tech” on social media.