Students are focus of ASMSU campaign

With the East Lansing City Council elections coming up in November, ASMSU has decided to step in to spread awareness among students to register and vote.

“In general, people are more excited about federal elections, but when it comes to city elections,” it’s a different story, said Jessica Leacher, ASMSU vice president for governmental affairs.

On Sept. 12, the ASMSU Policy Committee voted to pass a bill allowing the undergraduate student government to spread awareness among students to vote in the upcoming city council elections Nov. 5.

“When it comes to your city, (city council members) are the most influential people in your everyday life,” Leacher said, adding that the student government will be hosting a forum with all six candidates from 7-9 p.m. Oct. 2.

Leacher said students will have the opportunity to express their opinions and concerns to the candidates in a question and answer session at the forum.

Journalism junior Carly Giles said she was unaware of the city council elections were coming up and that she has never voted for city council before.

“I would probably go educate myself (at the forum),” Giles said. “There’s no reason not to.”

Leacher said ASMSU was keen on hosting the forum before the registration deadline on Oct. 7, encouraging students to register to vote at the event as well.

“We’ve talked to the MSU College Democrats, and we agreed that there will be voter registration at the forum,” Leacher said, adding that the location of the forum still is to be determined.

Students can learn more about registering to vote at ASMSU’s office located in Student Services.

Leacher said ASMSU has talked to the candidates running for city council and all expressed their willingness to participate in the forum.

“I believe that MSU and its students are the most vital aspect of our hometown,” said Susan W. Woods, founder of the East Lansing Film Festival, or ELFF, and one of the four candidates running for a four-year term.

Woods, who has been an East Lansing resident for 23 years, said she was hoping by participating in the forum that she would help students become aware of what is going on around them, especially incoming students.

“Being a city council member would be a next step in my dedication to this community, which I love,” Woods said.

Ruth Beier, who is running for a council position against Woods & others, said the most pressing issue that should be addressed by the city council concerning students is housing.

“We really hope (the forum) generates a lot of students and gets the students involved and excited about the elections, like we are,” Leacher said.

Share and discuss “Students are focus of ASMSU campaign” on social media.