Saturday, May 4, 2024

Professor under fire for in-class rant

University officials are continuing to investigate English professor William Penn for an anti-Republican rant he made during one of his classes last Thursday.

MSU is aware of the situation involving a video of professor William Penn, and the Office of the Provost is reviewing it,” university spokesman Kent Cassella said in a statement. “At MSU, it is important the classroom environment is conducive to a free exchange of ideas and is respectful of the opinions of others.”

The investigation comes in light of a video released by campusreform.org, a conservative college news organization, showing Penn lecturing about Republicans.

“They are cheap,” Penn said in the video. “They don’t want to pay taxes because they have already raped this country and gotten everything out of it they possibly could.”

The comments offended MSU Board of Trustees member Mitch Lyons, who said he was “appalled,” and said, “It puts into question how open-minded students can be in his class.”

Lyons said the administration planned to meet and discuss the matter Wednesday, and he expected to be notified of the results either late Wednesday or Thursday.

Some students said they had experienced similar behavior in past classes.

Share and discuss “Professor under fire for in-class rant ” on social media.