Former E.L. Mayor Vic Loomis to step down from council; six candidates vying for three seats

Former East Lansing mayor and city councilmember Vic Loomis will not seek reelection this fall, the second incumbent to give up their seat ahead of the November election.

Six candidates are vying for three seats, making for a competitive race heading into the fall.
On Tuesday, East Lansing city councilmember Kevin Beard announced Tuesday he also would not run for reelection.

The four new candidates running for full four-year terms are Sam Artley, Ruth Beier, Ben Eysselinck and Susan Woods, according to campaign filings.

Loomis’ decision comes nearly two years after the council ousted him as mayor. In November 2011, the council opted to replace him with Diane Goodeeris, the current mayor, ending Loomis’ four-year reign. The vote was 3-2, with Loomis and former councilmember Don Power dissenting.

Loomis was not immediately available for comment.

Like most smaller cities, mayors are elected in a majority vote by the council and are charged with presiding over meetings.

Joanna Bosse is challenging current councilmember Kathleen Boyle for a partial two-year term. Boyle was appointed last fall to fill Power’s seat after he resigned the previous April.

The election is slated for Nov. 5.

This is a developing story. Keep checking Statenews.com for more updates.

Share and discuss “Former E.L. Mayor Vic Loomis to step down from council; six candidates vying for three seats” on social media.