Former hockey coach Ron Mason becomes U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame inductee

Legendary former MSU hockey coach and athletics director, Ron Mason, became one of five inductees into the 2013 U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame last week.

Mason coached the MSU hockey team for 23 years, from 1979-2002 and was athletics director from 2002-08.

In his time at MSU, Mason earned the most wins in MSU hockey history with 608, 1986 NCAA title, National Coach of the Year award in 1992 and five CCHA (Central Collegiate Hockey Association) Coach of the Year honors.

Mason turned the MSU program around after it joined the CCHA in 1981. The program won the first four CCHA playoff championships in 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1985.

The CCHA Men’s Hockey Tournament trophy, The Mason Cup, was named after Mason in 2000 for his work in establishing the success of the conference during his illustrious career.

Mason has 21 NCAA Tournament appearances, an all-time record, and seven CCHA regular season titles in his time at MSU.

In addition, Mason has coached 44 NHL players at MSU and 32 All-Americans in his career.

Share and discuss “Former hockey coach Ron Mason becomes U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame inductee” on social media.