Monday, September 23, 2024

Jackson National Life officially filling Barnes & Noble vacancy

<p>Construction worker Blake Clark, of Grand Ledge, Mich., marks the ceiling before drilling a hole June 19, 2013, at the future site for Jackson National Life, 333 E. Grand River Ave. Construction is currently underway to transform the old site of Barnes &amp; Noble, which was closed in January 2012. Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Construction worker Blake Clark, of Grand Ledge, Mich., marks the ceiling before drilling a hole June 19, 2013, at the future site for Jackson National Life, 333 E. Grand River Ave. Construction is currently underway to transform the old site of Barnes & Noble, which was closed in January 2012. Justin Wan/The State News

Jackson National Life Insurance Company officially announced on Tuesday it will be moving into the former Barnes & Noble building, 333 E. Grand River Ave., for full- and part-time employment this fall.

The building will be used in a partnership with MSU to offer a flexible, collaborative work experience for students and citizens, Jackson National spokesperson John Brown said. Employees will have access to Jackson leadership and self-designated work schedules. Jackson National Community Fund also will use the site to offer volunteers an opportunity to work alongside Jackson’s associates.

“This is workspace unlike anything (Jackson National Life Insurance Company) has created before,” Brown said. “This is going to be a very open, very flexible workspace that we think is going to be very comfortable for students.”

Applications will be available online in late August.

Construction inside the space began four weeks ago. Although brown paper bags cover the windows this week, a look inside the building weeks ago revealed that the escalators have been removed.

Much to the delight of East Lansing Mayor Diane Goddeeris, Jackson National fills a large gap in the downtown area that has been vacant since Barnes & Noble went out of business in December 2011.

“When we (have) a business of their caliber coming here … it’s a really good thing for all of us,” Goddeeris said. “It’s a way for us to network with MSU and bring some of their graduates into our downtown to have students working there.”

East Lansing City Manager George Lahanas said the insurance company encourages mixed use in the downtown area — a goal for future development.

“It fits in really well,” Lahanas said. “You have people coming downtown during the daytime hours to park to come down to work, and when they are coming and going, they are stopping at the restaurant next door or going to the pharmacy.”

Share and discuss “Jackson National Life officially filling Barnes & Noble vacancy” on social media.