Sunday, May 5, 2024

Bikram Yoga studio opens on Grand River Avenue

Get ready to stretch and sweat. East Lansing’s first Bikram Yoga studio officially opened its doors on Sunday in Brookfield Plaza.

Bikram Yoga Capital Area, 1355 E. Grand River Ave., is Michigan’s seventh Bikram Yoga studio, and follows the teachings of Bikram Choudhury, a yoga guru who developed the sequence known as Bikram Yoga and has published several books about the benefits of yoga.

Ann Chrapkiewicz, director and an instructor of Bikram Yoga Capital Area, or BYCA, has been instructing Bikram Yoga since 2004. Bikram Yoga studios can only be owned by instructors who have been trained by Choudhury.

Chrapkiewicz, an MSU alumna, began the planning for BYCA last August. She said the studio only offers a beginners’ level class, but added she still finds the class challenging despite the fact she has been practicing Bikram Yoga for about 10 years.

The Bikram Yoga sequence consists of 26 postures and two breathing exercises, Chrapkiewicz said. The yoga is always done in 90-minute sessions in a room heated to 105 degrees Fahrenheit with 40 percent humidity. The first 45 minutes are standing warm-ups and the remainder of the class is dedicated to the postures.

“The postures are done in a very particular order and the order, for safety reasons, isn’t ever changed,” Chrapkiewicz said. “Each posture prepares you for the next (one).”

Chrapkiewicz said Bikram Yoga tends to defy what students would expect from a yoga class. She added the room is very well-lit, quiet and there is much instructor-to-student interaction.

Bikram Yoga is about constant correction by the instructor so that students are in the right posture and are safe at all times.

“People perceive it as being very intense,” Chrapkiewicz said. “But it’s truly designed for all levels and if people just come do what they can and try it the right way, they’ll get all the benefits they can.”

Chrapkiewicz said Bikram Yoga is a great cardiovascular workout with numerous health benefits.

“It’s like they’re getting strength training, flexibility training, chiropractic, massage (and) sauna, all in one 90-minute situation,” Chrapkiewicz said.

Kelsey Tamayo, a doctoral student, found yoga through sessions offered at music festivals and camps. Tamayo was advised by friends to try out Bikram Yoga to improve her strength and general health. Sunday was her first time trying Bikram Yoga.

“I’ve had a shoulder injury,” Tamayo said. “It’s kind of the reason why I wanted to find something relaxing but not strenuous.”

Jonathan Staub, a graduate student, began practicing Bikram Yoga a couple years ago in Massachusetts after reading Choudhury’s books. His ability to practice came to a halt after coming to MSU. He has attended sessions at East Lansing Hot Yoga, 924 Trowbridge Road, but does not think it compares.

“Other hot yoga, it is hot, but it’s not the same,” Staub said. “They incorporate other
poses, they do other things that may not be necessarily yoga.”

Chrapkiewicz said she has heard from many potential students that they have been waiting for years for an official Bikram Yoga studio to open in the area.

“When people start doing Bikram (Yoga), they usually can’t find something else that feels as good,” Chrapkiewicz said.

Share and discuss “Bikram Yoga studio opens on Grand River Avenue” on social media.