Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Morrill Hall fire still under investigation, no asbestos released into air

<p>Fire fighters respond to a fire May 15, 2013, at Morrill Hall. The cause of the fire is still unknown. Weston Brooks/The State News</p>

Fire fighters respond to a fire May 15, 2013, at Morrill Hall. The cause of the fire is still unknown. Weston Brooks/The State News

Photo by Weston Brooks | The State News

The fire that started in Morrill Hall around 7 p.m. yesterday still is under investigation.

On Wednesday, East Lansing Police Department responded to a report that Morrill Hall was on fire. Large crowds of spectators gathered near the building as clouds of smoke poured out of the roof of one of MSU’s oldest buildings.

According to MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor, there has not yet been a determination to the cause of the fire.

Nobody was injured during the fire and it was contained to the roof and attic area of the building, she said.

There will be no repair costs to MSU, due to the previous plans for demolition of the building.

McGlothian-Taylor added the abatement already had taken place to rid the building of any asbestos, and there would not have been any asbestos in the smoke or air. Authorities on the scene previously reported asbestos was leaking from the windows and asked onlookers to stay clear of the area.

Share and discuss “Morrill Hall fire still under investigation, no asbestos released into air” on social media.