Nevada recruit Schilling headed to MSU

Auburn Hills — It was all smiles for Tom Izzo and the MSU men’s basketball team as they arrived at the Palace of Auburn Hills in preparation for their opening NCAA Tournament game today, and while their focus was on the task at hand, a bit of good news about the future made its way down the pike later in the day.

After losing star recruit Jabari Parker of Simeon High, in Chicago, to Duke in December, the Spartans’ learned via social media that there’ll be at least one member of the 2013 recruiting class.

Gavin Schilling, a 6-foot-9, 205-pound forward from Findlay Prep, in Henderson, Nev., announced his decision to attend MSU on Twitter Wednesday afternoon.

“I proudly announce that I will be playing my college basketball at Michigan State University!,” Schilling said in a tweet. “Much love to all who supported me! #GoGreen.”

Schilling, who is rated as a three-star recruit by a number of recruiting websites, including rivals.com, also had scholarship offers from UCLA, Minnesota, Villanova and Illinois, among others.

Schilling becomes the first member of the 2013 recruiting class and it might remain that way.
With center Derrick Nix as the team’s sole graduating senior, it’s not necessarily critical for the Spartans to find another recruit.

In addition to freshmen Gary Harris, Denzel Valentine and Matt Costello, the Spartans also have forward Kenny Kaminski, who is redshirting this season, as part of their future.

Sophomore guard/forward Branden Dawson has announced he will be returning for his junior season, but Harris and junior center Adreian Payne have yet to say whether they will enter June’s NBA Draft.

Share and discuss “Nevada recruit Schilling headed to MSU ” on social media.