Roushar to interview for New Orleans Saints running backs coaching spot

Offensive coordinator Dan Roushar warms up with the team before the game Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012, at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, WI. The Spartans defeated the Wisconsin Badgers 16-13 with an overtime touchdown for the win. Adam Toolin/The State News
Offensive coordinator Dan Roushar warms up with the team before the game Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012, at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, WI. The Spartans defeated the Wisconsin Badgers 16-13 with an overtime touchdown for the win. Adam Toolin/The State News —
Photo by Adam Toolin | and Adam Toolin The State News

Dan Roushar hasn’t always been the most popular man in town and, according to a new report, he might not be in town much longer.

The Spartans’ oft-criticized offensive coordinator will interview today for the New Orleans Saints’ vacant running backs coaching position, according to a report from the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

Former Kansas State coach Ron Prince and longtime NFL assistant Maurice Carthon, who was succeeded by current Saints head coach Sean Payton as the Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator in 2003, also are expected to interview.

Roushar has served as MSU’s offensive coordinator the past two seasons after previously working as the Spartans offensive line coach from 2007-2010.

Despite fan criticism, head coach Mark Dantonio has staunchly defended the work done by Roushar throughout his time at MSU.

This is the second consecutive offseason in which Roushar has interviewed for an NFL job, after meeting with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers about their open offensive line coaching position nearly one year ago.

The Spartans already have seen one change to their coaching staff this offseason, hiring new defensive line coach Ron Burton less than one week ago, after electing not to renew Ted Gill’s contract.

Share and discuss “Roushar to interview for New Orleans Saints running backs coaching spot” on social media.