Wednesday, April 23, 2014 | Last updated: 11:04am

Unsually warm weather spurs crime

Warm weather might have been a factor in the high number of assaults and underage drinking arrests last weekend.

East Lansing police arrested six minors for carrying alcohol, wrote nine minor in possession citations, and answered calls for three assaults, seven fights, nine thefts and one stolen vehicle, according to the weekend report.

“For a winter month, coming back after break … it is a little higher than normal,” East Lansing police Capt. Bill Mitchell said. “My guess is because of the weather.”

Temperatures were in the mid to upper-50s on Friday and Saturday, according to the National Weather Service in Grand Rapids.

MSU police reported four assaults and 11 larcenies from buildings and motor vehicles on the Clery Crime and Fire Log as of press time Tuesday. Police also wrote nine minor in possession citations, MSU police Sgt. Shaun Mills said.

MSU police Sgt. Paul Kuchek said on a typical weekend this time of year MSU police might have two or three minor in possession charges in jail on a Saturday morning. Numbers this weekend were comparable to a football weekend, Kuchek said.

Mills said the number of thefts seemingly were high for a single weekend, but that does not necessarily correspond to the unusually warm weather.

“I think the weather had to do with it,” Mills said of the assaults. “When it’s nice, especially at night, it definitely brings people out.”