MSU professor charged with animal neglect

College of Veterinary Medicine assistant professor Patricia Schenck was charged in December with felony neglect of an animal, university spokesman Kent Cassella confirmed Monday.

Clinton County officials were not immediately available for comment as of press time Monday.

Schenck was arraigned on one count of animal neglect after a Dec. 12 search found 17 dogs and two cats in her home in poor conditions, according to the Lansing State Journal.

“MSU is aware of the criminal charges that were filed against Patricia Ann Schenck,” Cassella said Monday night. “At this time, she’s been notified that she is being suspended with pay pending a resolution of the criminal justice process.”

Cassella was unaware if she was slated to teach classes this semester or if she taught any last semester.

“In her role at the college she did not treat animals and nor do the charges against her pertain to her work at the college,” Cassella said.

A profile of Schenck on the university website showed she has been associated with MSU since 2001 and, prior to her suspension, was section chief of MSU Diagnostic Center for Population and Animal Health’s Endocrine Diagnostic Section.

She published several scholarly articles and a book, “Home Prepared Dog & Cat Diets, Second Edition.”
Schenck is scheduled for a preliminary hearing Thursday at the Clinton County District Court, according to the Lansing State Journal.

Keep checking The State News for continued coverage of this issue.

Share and discuss “MSU professor charged with animal neglect” on social media.