Sophomore guard Kearney to leave MSU basketball team

<p>Sophomore guard Brandan Kearney waits for a free throw to be shot at the game against Texas on Saturday, Nov. 22, 2012,  at the Breslin Center. The Spartans won, 67-56. Katie Stiefel/ The State News</p>

Sophomore guard Brandan Kearney waits for a free throw to be shot at the game against Texas on Saturday, Nov. 22, 2012, at the Breslin Center. The Spartans won, 67-56. Katie Stiefel/ The State News

Photo by Katie Stiefel | The State News

Brandan Kearney reportedly is leaving the MSU basketball program.

Head coach Tom Izzo told reporters after practice on Friday the sophomore guard has decided to leave after being unhappy in his role. On numerous occasions, Izzo said Kearney was among the best on the team at understanding his role and how he fits into the scheme of the program.

According to WLNS, Kearney made the decision to leave over winter break and informed Izzo of the decision on Thursday night.

“Brandan Kearney came back from Christmas break and informed me it was in his best interests to pursue other avenues in his basketball career at a place he can play a larger role,” Izzo said in a statement released by the athletics department. “We wish him good luck in his future endeavors.”

A former 2011 Class A First-Team All-State honoree out of Detroit Southeastern, Kearney came into the program as the No. 28 small forward in the nation by Rivals.com.

Kearney, a Detroit native, has appeared in all 13 of the Spartans’ games this season, averaging 2.3 points and 1.5 rebounds in 16.9 minutes per contest. However, Kearney said in a statement that he’s looking for a new opportunity elsewhere.

“I’m thankful to Michigan State and the basketball program for the opportunity they gave me,” Kearney said. “I wish them the best of luck with the rest of their season. I wish my teammates – every single one of them – all the best as individuals and as a team. I just think it’s best for me to get a fresh start and play elsewhere.”

Kearney has not made a decision of where he will transfer, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Share and discuss “Sophomore guard Kearney to leave MSU basketball team” on social media.