Singh headed to house as first Indian-American Michigan rep.

State representative candidate Sam Singh talks with friends and Lansing residents David Reyes-Gastelum (left) and Amy Jamison on Nov. 6, 2012, at The Pizza House for an election party. Katie Stiefel
State representative candidate Sam Singh talks with friends and Lansing residents David Reyes-Gastelum (left) and Amy Jamison on Nov. 6, 2012, at The Pizza House for an election party. Katie Stiefel —
Photo by Katie Stiefel | and Katie Stiefel The State News

Democratic candidate Sam Singh secured the 69th district seat for the Michigan House of Representatives, making him the first Indian-American to serve on the Michigan Legislature.

“I think it’s always good to have the full diversity of the state represented by its politicians, so I’m pleased to be able to add that voice to the conversation,” Singh said.

Although Singh defeated Susan McGillicuddy and made strides for the Indian-American population by earning two-thirds of the vote as of press time, he said the real work is just beginning.

At press time, it was not determined how many Democrats would be added to the House, but with a Republican governor, Singh said he expects conversations to be difficult between the parties.

“I’m looking forward to those conversations, but I know there are no easy answers to the problem,” Singh said of the difficulty of working with a primarily Republican House.

MSU associate professor of political science Matt Grossmann said Singh is a politician who likely will be able to fill some sort of leadership role.

“Obviously he’s been around the block and is well known in Lansing, so I don’t expect him to have a problem getting accustomed to being a legislator,” Grossmann said. “Our legislators in the Lansing area have a tradition of taking some leadership roles, in part because they are so close to the Capitol.”

Singh said one of his biggest priorities once he takes office is to invest in the state through government.

“We have to get away from this mentality of just trying to cut all of our budgets, and somehow reach success,” Singh said. “It’s really about how we position our universities or K-12 education systems in a new light.”

Sociology junior Sunitha Jacob — an Indian-American — said she voted for Singh because his platforms were in line with her liberal beliefs, but she also appreciates him more because he represents Michigan minorities.

“He’s an Indian-American, but he represents someone who is not of the majority being elected to Congress that is really good, really progressive and really positive,” Jacob said. “I think it is a step forward because obviously it is adding more diversity to the Michigan-elected council.”

Update: 2:34 a.m.

Singh received 63.97 percent of the reported district votes, while McGillicuddy received 35.97 percent; 35,146 votes had been reported. Two Meridian Township precincts have not yet been reported.

Share and discuss “Singh headed to house as first Indian-American Michigan rep.” on social media.