Maxwell leans on faith during difficult season

Junior quarterback Andrew Maxwell and MSU football head coach Mark Dantonio look back on the MSU football team’s (5-5 overall, 2-4 Big Ten) loss to No. 18 Nebraska, the little plays that haven’t gone their way, and the difference between winning and losing.

Photo by Josh Mansour | The State News

Andrew Maxwell did something unusual before his weekly press conference. He woke up and made his way approximately two hours north to open the polls at 6:45 a.m. at Adams Elementary School, 1005 Adams Drive, in Midland, Mich.

It was Maxwell’s first time voting, as the spirit of election day reached Spartan Stadium Tuesday, where the junior quarterback stood at the podium for his weekly press conference wearing an “I voted,” sticker, and MSU football head coach Mark Dantonio said he would remain “political,” to honor the day, meaning he would avoid criticism of Saturday’s officiating.

The Spartans (5-5 overall, 2-4 Big Ten) lost to No. 18 Nebraska (7-2, 4-1), 28-24, this weekend, with controversial penalties against senior cornerback Johnny Adams and junior cornerback Darqueze Dennard, riling up players, fans and defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi, among others.

Dantonio said he spoke to Big Ten officials about the penalties, but the details of the conversations remain confidential.

After reviewing the film, both Adams and Dennard said they disagreed with the calls against them, a pass interference penalty in the end zone against Dennard, and a personal foul on Adams that negated a 96-yard interception return for a touchdown by Dennard.

“It’s heartbreaking because we do have so many opportunities to really close it out and put it away on both sides of the ball, and I know a lot got made about the officials, but we have opportunities to close it out and really not leave it up to a call here or there,” Maxwell said.

“We watched the film yesterday morning, and we learned from it, and I think it was Vince Lombardi that said once mistakes and setbacks have served the purpose of teaching, you have to learn from them and move on. I think you have to move past it and look forward to the next challenge.”

The heartbreak hasn’t been limited to this past weekend, as the Spartans’ four Big Ten losses were dropped by a combined 10 points, with each game’s deciding play being made within the game’s final minute.

With so much disappointment, Maxwell said he’s falling on his faith to help him through the adversity, and he knows a number of his teammates are relying on religion as well.

“There’s a reason for (adversity), and being a Christian, I believe that God truly has a plan and this is part of it,” Maxwell said.

“Being 5-5 is not what we wanted to happen, but we’re going to be stronger from it. There are lessons we can learn from every single one of these games, and when those lessons are going to be able to be applied and when it’s going to come to light, I don’t know and I don’t think any of us do know, but I think the important thing is to stay positive and keep staying the course.”

Another person benefiting from religious teaching is Dantonio, who said his trip to Trinity Church, 3355 Dunckel Road, in Lansing, on Sunday proved beneficial, particularly a message from Senior Teaching Pastor Marvin Williams.

“Pastor Williams talked about some things, and one of the things he talked about is there’s got to be presence and suffering. Everybody has to suffer together. Along the lines of that, no pity,” Dantonio said.

“So we’ve got to get on with it, move past it. I thought it was very relevant to my situation. A couple other things there, too. But I thought it was very relevant. So move on.”

Share and discuss “Maxwell leans on faith during difficult season” on social media.