MSU Band members protect Sparty statue from U-M vandals during game week

During the week before the Spartans take on the Wolverines, the Spartan Marching Band protects the symbol and pride of MSU’s campus, the Sparty statue, from vandals in a tradition known as Sparty Watch.

This year’s Sparty Watch took place from Monday through Thursday at the Spartan statue, with a different activity for band members featured each day.

The event was planned by national honorary band fraternity Kappa Kappa Psi and sorority Tau Beta Sigma.

Food science sophomore Chris Chaney, who is in Kappa Kappa Psi, helped plan the event.
“It was a lot of work, but it was rewarding,” he said.

Monday night was photography night, where a photographer snapped photos of Spartans and marching band members with the Sparty statue.

Tuesday featured not only relay races and games of capture the flag, but an appearance from MSU head coach Mark Dantonio. Dantonio visiting the band during Sparty Watch is one of the event’s greatest traditions.

“He was there for maybe five minutes,” said Bruce Winters, a member of Kappa Kappa Psi who helped coordinate the event. “He talks to the band and thanks us for what we’re doing.”
According to Winters, Wednesday was the best night, a night he described as “glow night.” Glow sticks were distributed to the crowd and to band members, illuminating the statue and everybody around it.

Chaney said Thursday, which was dance party night, was the most successful night. Approximately 200 Spartans came out to dance, have fun and, of course, protect the statue, he said.

“It was exciting,” Chaney said. “We had JAMMIN’ DJs (and) strobe lights. … It was just a fun atmosphere with people getting ready for the Michigan game.”

There have been no attempts to vandalize the statue in recent years, but Winters noted a serious attempt in the late 1990s.

“They arrested like 15, 16 people who attempted a paintball attack on the statue,” he said, adding the attempt was unsuccessful.

Education senior and band member Louis Armbrecht said he is a fan of the tradition of Sparty Watch.

“It’s a good way for the band to hang out in a public place and carry out the tradition of guarding Sparty,” Armbrecht said.

Winters believes the Sparty Watch tradition is essential for not only Michigan week, but the collective unity of MSU students and faculty.

“It’s an event where the band comes together, or the university, and we protect Sparty,” he said. “It’s about university pride.”

Share and discuss “MSU Band members protect Sparty statue from U-M vandals during game week” on social media.