City of East Lansing edges forward accepting plans for former CCII site

The corner of Abbott Rd. and Grand River Ave. is the proposed site for the City of East Lansing development project City Center II. The site proposes a theatre, hotel, condos and amongst other things, but the city is waiting for official financial backing before moving forward with the project. State News File Photo

The city of East Lansing still is committed to a mixed-used development at the site of the former City Center II project, and it started accepting proposals from potential developers earlier this month.

The Downtown Development Authority, or DDA, issued a request for proposals from individuals or groups interested in serving as lead developer in the Park District Planning Area site.

The site, which is estimated to stretch 2.8 acres of DDA-owned property near the intersection of Michigan and Grand River avenues, ideally would serve as a multipurpose community center that celebrates the cultural and economic aspects to the area, according to city outlines for the space.

So far, about a dozen developers have submitted proposals, Planning and Community Development Director Tim Dempsey said.

Proposals will be accepted through Feb. 7, 2013, after which city leaders will make a decision.
“We want to have a project that is very well connected to the rest of the downtown, complete with pedestrian and bike access,” Dempsey said. “We want to have a project that … includes multiple uses (such as) residential, retail and maybe even office use.”

Potential developers are required to submit a proposed conceptual development program, detailing their proposed project decisions, which later will be reviewed by representatives from the city and DDA, according to the proposal.

Formulating a plan that satisfies the needs of both the city and its residents is a challenge, according to Mark Wilson, associate director for the School of Planning, Design and Construction, community input is an essential component to the development process.

“Community participation is always a central part to any urban planning initiative,” he said. “The people doing the planning see public participation as being very important.”

Share and discuss “City of East Lansing edges forward accepting plans for former CCII site” on social media.