Sunday, May 5, 2024

City Council continues debate on City Center II, St. Anne's

Workers continue contruction on the St. Anne Luxury Lofts on Monday, July 23, 2012. East Lansing City Council will discuss the future of the project's unauthorized fifth floor tomorrow evening. Julia Nagy/The State News

East Lansing City Council has a loaded docket for its work session scheduled for 7 p.m. today at City Hall, 410 Abbot Road.

Among a number of items, council will discuss moving forward with the now defunct City Center II project and possibly take action on a special use permit which would allow for the completion of a fifth floor on the St. Anne’s Loft projects.

The development project has been the topic of much conversation this summer after construction of a fifth floor on the approved four-story project began. Since then a portion of the fourth floor collapsed and a stop-work order was issued for the fifth floor while council reviewed several engineering reports to determine whether the building was being constructed in a safe manner.

“We’ve been moving forward with our engineering study, that third review if you will, and we hope we’ll have everything in order for council to make their decisions that night right then so that project can be completed,” City Manager George Lahanas said.

Mayor Pro Tem Nathan Triplett said while City Attorney Tom Yeadon looks into enforcement options for developer Kris Elliott, the council must keep issues with the project separate for a fair decision.

“There are a number of issues and each of those need to be given the attention they deserve,” Triplett said. “No one benefits from a muddled process which confuses the issues.”

One of the issues will be the financial possibilities that come with the additional fifth floor on the project. Councilmember Don Power said projected numbers from Planning and Community Development Director Tim Dempsey indicate that the fifth floor would increase the $7.9 million mixed use building’s value by about $250,000. The increase in the building’s value would make another $112,000 available in income taxes for the city and decrease the 30-year tax increment financing, to 27 years.

But Power said that although the fifth floor would be beneficial, there mustn’t be any lingering questions about its safety.

“If and when we authorize the fifth story and give a permit to occupy, it needs to be safe,” he said.
Council also will discuss moving forward with City Center II since the project as proposed was struck down in late June. The city is looking for input from community groups in determining the next steps regarding City Center II’s development, and information from those groups will be presented at the meeting.

Lahanas said the city will be holding meetings with the public in August to make sure the community voice is heard as development moves forward.

He added getting input from the public for the next steps for the project is integral before sending out a request for proposal, or RFP for developers, a sentiment echoed by Triplett.

“I think that we’ve recognized community involvement is important in this project,” Triplett said. “I think given the level of interest in the project, it only makes sense we have a robust community input process in what we do moving forward.”

Share and discuss “City Council continues debate on City Center II, St. Anne's” on social media.