Sigma Phi Epsilon MSU chapter restored

A newly recolonized Sigma Phi Epsilon located at 1148 E. Grand River Ave., sits on Thursday evening, Sept. 27, 2012, in East Lansing. The fraternity recently won its charter back after having it revoked last winter. Natalie Kolb/The State News
A newly recolonized Sigma Phi Epsilon located at 1148 E. Grand River Ave., sits on Thursday evening, Sept. 27, 2012, in East Lansing. The fraternity recently won its charter back after having it revoked last winter. Natalie Kolb/The State News —
Photo by Natalie Kolb | and Natalie Kolb The State News

After losing its charter last winter, the MSU chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity recently won the right to reorganize.

Sigma Phi Epsilon’s National Board of Directors revoked the MSU chapter’s charter Jan. 17, citing “poor operations” and risky behavior as reasons. This past summer, the MSU chapter as a whole removed about half of its members, appealed the national board’s decision and won the case.

“We did an internal membership review and changed some of our operations,” said Noah Berger, MSU’s Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter president.

The MSU chapter was forced to move out of its house at 225 N. Harrison Road following the end of the 2012 spring semester. Berger said many of its members have purchased the lease and moved into the old Alpha Epsilon Pi house at 1148 E. Grand River Ave.

Berger said Alpha Epsilon Pi members previously living at that location have, in turn, purchased the 225 N. Harrison Road lease and moved into the MSU Sigma Epsilon Pi chapter’s old house.

“(Sigma Epsilon Pi’s) nationals, when they revoked their charter, cited some general management issues inside the house,” said Devin Cudnohufsky, MSU Interfraternity Council, or IFC, president.

In a previous State News article, Cudnohufsky said the IFC was revising its constitution with regard to recolonization of banned fraternities.

Although he did not specify what the revisions were, Cudnohufsky said the IFC is “still in the progress of it.”

“We’re getting close, and the goal is to have it passed soon,” he said.

Jason Price, a current Sigma Phi Epsilon member, said the remaining members worked hard to be where they are now.

“I’m extremely happy with the progress our house has made since January, when we thought it was all over,” Price said. “Since the beginning of the spring (2012) semester, not only has the actual status of our chapter changed for the better, but attitudes in the house have immensely improved.”

This is the second time in the past 12 years MSU’s Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter has instantaneously lost a substantial portion of its members.

According to a previous State News article, In December 2000, 31 of the 77 members at the time were resigned, expelled or given alumni status after interviews by alumni members who said they had failed to adhere to university and chapter guidelines.

“Sig-Ep is alive and well, and we have full intention of keeping it that way,” Price said. “We plan to be bigger and better than ever before.”

Share and discuss “Sigma Phi Epsilon MSU chapter restored” on social media.