Sunday, October 27, 2024

ASMSU reflects on rebuilding process, policy development

Editor’s note: This story has been changed to reflect that a test version of the CATA app is expected to be available in March 2012.

Halfway through what has been called a transition year, ASMSU officials are pleased with how the group has progressed in the past semester but also recognize the need to follow through on implementation of passed proposals next semester.

ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

ASMSU General Assembly Chairman Steve Marino said ASMSU has made “tremendous strides” in reconnecting with the university and the student body, but needs to continue working to implement its plans in progress.

A number of ASMSU initiatives have made their way through the General Assembly this semester, and proposals to change the university’s absence policy and implement a preferred name policy now are waiting for further action in Academic Governance.

However, students have yet to see other proposals passed by the group come to fruition, including a resolutions to advocate for restarting the Michigan State Fair on MSU’s campus and another allowing students to carry pepper spray for self defense — which MSU police said already is allowed.

Students also have expressed interest in ASMSU’s proposed bus-tracking mobile application through which students potentially could track Capital Area Transportation Authority, or CATA, buses in real time GPS.

Biomedical laboratory operations and premedical senior Brittany Bennett said if the mobile app is implemented successfully, it likely will help increase ASMSU’s publicity on campus and improve its image further.

“If it works out, people will want to know who came up with (the idea),” she said.

Marino said ASMSU still has a “long road” next semester to implement the CATA app, but is expecting a test version to be available in March 2012.

ASMSU Chief of Staff Eric Branoff said the rebuilding process is ongoing and has been “tiring” and “troublesome” at times, but he said increasing ASMSU’s visibility has been going well overall.

Academic Governance officials expressed their disappointment earlier in the semester with the lack of involvement from students during committee meetings. But Branoff said an important aspect of the transition process is continuing to build a relationship with university administrators and not be “antagonistic.”

Marino — who equated ASMSU to a “phoenix rising from the ashes” earlier this year — said working with university administrators in the aftermath of the merger last year was difficult.

“It was not easy walking into some of those discussions,” Marino said. “(But) sometimes you just can’t fight every battle. You have to look at the big picture.”

Cathy Neuman, assistant director for MSU’s Department of Student Life and ASMSU adviser, said ASMSU has become more focused on its student services and addressing student concern since last spring’s controversy over the merger of Student Assembly and Academic Assembly.

“It’s definitely a transition period,” Neuman said. “I think all involved are working hard so a transition takes place and things are in a better place.”

Neuman said changes in ASMSU’s structure also helped the group determine how it could improve its efficiency.

“Mainly I’d like to see them evaluating many of the changes that took place and having it be flexible enough that they can continue making it better,” she said.

Share and discuss “ASMSU reflects on rebuilding process, policy development” on social media.