Spring is beer

Crunchy's employee Kirby Metty fills a mug with Oberon Monday evening.

The scent of orange slices drifted through Crunchy’s, 254 W. Grand River Ave., Monday as customers celebrated the seasonal release of Bell’s Oberon Ale.

Crunchy’s server Tom Dean said Sunday was a much busier day than normal at the bar, with customers putting in preorders for Oberon two hours before its midnight release. There’s a rush on Oberon orders right now, but the beer continues to be popular throughout the summer and some people don’t realize when it’s turned to the Oberon off-season, he said.

“People try to order it all winter long,” Dean said. “It’s just a seasonal thing.”

Dean said the beer serves as a reminder that summer’s on its way and makes people more anxious for warmer weather.

“Last summer, I feel like that’s all I would serve,” he said. “I would go home smelling like oranges.”

Electrical engineering senior Brandt Miller said he likes the beer’s smooth flavor, and although a lot of people don’t think fruit belongs in beer, he thinks it’s fine — “as long as it tastes good.”

“I wish it was here all the time,” Miller said. “But I guess it makes it a little more special that way.”

East Lansing resident Jeremy Sprague said he is a fan of Michigan beer. He has worked in the Kalamazoo area for the past 10 years — not far from Bell’s Brewery Inc. — and said he’s noticed the Oberon quality improve from its seasonal release each year.

“The taste will be better by the end of April,” he said.

Share and discuss “Spring is beer” on social media.