Wednesday, October 23, 2024

MSU men’s soccer draws 0-0 against Michigan as Big Ten battle intensifies

<p>Michigan State University freshman defender Brandon Munson (5) and University of Michigan junior forward Oliver Martin (15) run after the ball during the MSU vs. UOM men’s soccer match at DeMartin Stadium on Oct. 22, 2024.</p>

Michigan State University freshman defender Brandon Munson (5) and University of Michigan junior forward Oliver Martin (15) run after the ball during the MSU vs. UOM men’s soccer match at DeMartin Stadium on Oct. 22, 2024.

In a clash for the Big Bear Trophy, MSU's men’s soccer played to a tense, scoreless draw with rival University of Michigan Tuesday night.

The match, held at a packed DeMartin Stadium with a season-high attendance (3,093), saw tempers flare as both sides fought for bragging rights but couldn't find the back of the net.

After the game, MSU head coach Damon Rensing emphasized the impact of such a large turnout for a rivalry showdown. 

"It shows the community, and really the state of Michigan," Rensing said. "Kudos to our people and to do that on a Tuesday is massive." 

The best chances of the game for both sides came in the second half. In the 66th minute, Spartan forward Richie Ludwig broke through the Wolverine defense but was denied by goalkeeper Isaiah Goldson, who made a crucial save at close range.

Later in the 89th minute, another golden opportunity slipped through MSU’s grasp when defender Brandon Munson's outside-the-foot effort went straight at the goalkeeper, missing a chance to snatch victory in the closing moments.

Though it was a scoreless affair, the match was anything but dull. A physical battle unfolded on the pitch with a combined 23 fouls. The tension boiled over near the end as a scuffle led to a red card check, adding fuel to the moment.

For Michigan State, this match was about more a trophy; it was about bouncing back from a disappointing 3-1 loss at Indiana. Rensing made a forced adjustment, replacing defender Will Eby with midfielder Colin Arce due to suspension.

MSU's defense, led by senior Levin Gerhardt, stood firm and the Spartans earned their fourth clean sheet of the season.

"It was a little bit of a chess match," Rensing said. "To Levin’s credit, he played really well, he was really good on the ball." 

The draw keeps MSU’s hopes alive as it continues to battle in the Big Ten standings. Its defensive organization has been a key strength throughout the season, but scoring has been a challenge. With several close matches behind them, the Spartans know converting chances like those missed against Michigan will be crucial as they head into the final stretch of the conference season.

MSU is now 5-6-3 overall and 4-3-1 in the Big Ten.

There is significant room for improvement for MSU. While the side has only conceded seven goals in eight Big Ten games, it scored just eight goals in seven games on the other end. 

As the season progresses, MSU has proven resilient, but will need to sharpen its attack to make a statement finish in conference play. The Battle of Big Bear showcased the Spartans' ability to climb the standings and secure shutouts, but more decisive moments in front of goal will be necessary to exceed expectations.

MSU will travel to play Ohio State on Oct. 29 at 6 p.m. 

Share and discuss “MSU men’s soccer draws 0-0 against Michigan as Big Ten battle intensifies” on social media.