Thursday, October 24, 2024

MSU football at quarterback advantage against rival Michigan

<p>Michigan State sophomore quarterback Aiden Chiles (2) shouts at a referee for missing a facemask call during a football game against the Ohio State Buckeyes at Spartan Stadium on Sept. 28, 2024. Despite a competitive first half, the Spartans fell 38-7 to the Buckeyes.</p>

Michigan State sophomore quarterback Aiden Chiles (2) shouts at a referee for missing a facemask call during a football game against the Ohio State Buckeyes at Spartan Stadium on Sept. 28, 2024. Despite a competitive first half, the Spartans fell 38-7 to the Buckeyes.

In early January, maize and blue confetti rained from the rafters of NRG Stadium in Houston, TX as the University of Michigan became 2023 College Football National Champions.

Now, nine months later, the Wolverines (4-3, 2-2 Big Ten) sit in the middle of the conference. Through seven games under head coach Sherrone Moore, the program has taken steps back since last winter and is in a vulnerable position after losing the core of its 15-0 team.

Entering the 117th Battle for the Paul Bunyan Trophy this Saturday in Ann Arbor, Michigan State University and Michigan's records are identical. But after losing 49-0 a year ago to the Wolverines at home, MSU has gained considerable momentum compared to its bitter rival, highlighted by a clear gap between each team's situation under center. 

Lackluster quarterback has plagued Michigan since the season's outset. Moore has started three different QBs in seven games, still searching for his go-to guy. At a press conference Monday, Moore was reluctant to name a starter for Saturday.

"We'll see as we practice this week," Moore said. 

Last October in East Lansing, the Wolverines had a first-round NFL draft pick at quarterback in J.J. McCarthy while MSU freshman Katin Houser made his second career start. The advantage under center this Saturday is tipped in the other direction.

In seven games as a collegiate starter, MSU sophomore quarterback Aidan Chiles has shown a combination of talent, flash and mistakes, breaking through last Saturday in a 12-point win over Iowa. The 19-year-old Chiles delivered his best performance of the season, going 22-for-30 for 256 yards and one touchdown through the air and adding 51 yards on 11 carries.

“I was proud of (Chiles) Saturday,” MSU offensive coordinator Brian Lindgren said Tuesday. “I felt like when stuff was there, he was hitting it and he was on time with his feet. Those are some of the things in the first six games that he just wasn't doing consistently enough. He just needs to continue to progress."

Michigan's passing offense is among the worst in college football. To begin the season, Moore rolled the dice with inexperienced senior quarterback Davis Warren. This experiment was short-lived. Warren tossed six interceptions in less than three games and was benched in week three against Arkansas State. Warren was replaced by junior Alex Orji, a run-first quarterback, who only threw the ball 43 times in three starts, averaging 3.4 yards per completion. Orji was benched in a 27-17 loss to Washington.

In the past 15 possessions with Moore's latest option — seventh year quarterback Jack Tuttle — the Wolverines have scored one touchdown and committed five turnovers.

Chiles has thrown for 1,468 yards in seven starts. Michigan's three quarterbacks are a combined 101-for-165 for 898 yards with six touchdowns, nine interceptions and four fumbles. None of the three have eclipsed 500 yards passing.

MSU head coach Jonathan Smith said the uncertainty under center for Michigan won't change preparation for the week.

“You prepare what you see on tape.” Smith said Monday. “And we have tape on all of their players that have played offensively.” 

Michigan also has true freshman Jadyn Davis and junior Jayden Denegal at quarterback. It's unlikely Moore starts a fourth or fifth-string in a game of such magnitude, but a possibility.

“I think (Michigan's quarterbacks) all have some different strengths and weaknesses,” MSU defensive coordinator Joe Rossi said Wednesday. “I think they've all, at various times during the year, have moved the ball and scored points. So we've got to have the mindset that we may see any of them and we've got to have an answer for the things that they present.”

The Wolverines are a ground-heavy team, averaging 180 rushing yards per game. They enter Saturday with the upper hand against MSU's 53rd-ranked rushing defense in the nation. Stopping the run and converting offensive opportunities into points will be crucial for the Spartans, as it was against Iowa.

As momentum builds for the Spartans, they'll have the chance to win back Paul Bunyan for the first time since 2021. 

The rivalry matchup will take place on Saturday, Oct. 26 at 7:30 p.m at The Big House. The game will be aired by Big Ten Network.

Share and discuss “MSU football at quarterback advantage against rival Michigan” on social media.