Sunday, October 27, 2024

MSU field hockey earns first conference win against No. 16 Iowa in OT thriller

Fast-paced field hockey ball passes between Iowa and MSU in a competitive matchup at MSU's Ralph Young Field on Oct. 25, 2024.

MSU field hockey won its first conference game of the season over the No. 16 Iowa Hawkeyes on Friday afternoon. The upset moved the Spartans back to .500 at 8-8. 

Before Friday, Michigan State lost its previous two contests against Rutgers and No. 15 Penn State.

With only two games left in the season for MSU to climb or fall in the Big Ten, the 2-1 win at home against a contending Iowa team will improve the Spartans' resume and how they will look back on the season.

In the first half, MSU had nine total shots compared to Iowa's two but was held to zero shots in the second quarter. Neither team could break through, but MSU had the early advantage despite a scoreless tie at the break. 

The Spartans finally landed a punch in the third period as senior midfielder Maddie Lawlor scored the first goal of the game and her fifth on the season. Their hopes of an upset continued to build. 

In the second half, the Hawkeyes were more aggressive on offense, tallying six shots in the third quarter and 10 in the fourth. Iowa sophomore midfielder Lieve van Kessel scored her fourth goal of the season to again tie the game with two minutes left in regulation.

The Friday afternoon showdown at Ralph Young Field would need overtime to reach a decision.

With just under six minutes left in overtime, freshman midfielder Carmen Pucheta netted the game-winner, her fourth goal of the season. 

MSU sophomore goalkeeper Lyra Gavino was the star of the game with 10 saves. Iowa totaled two saves.  

“We have had so many overtime games this year and we’ve been right there at the end, and I'm really proud of them today," MSU head coach Helen Knull said postgame. 

Now 1-5 on the conference season, the Spartans have an impending matchup with the Northwestern Wildcats, the No. 1 team in the country at 15-0 and 6-0 in conference play.

“We’ve got Northwestern at home and that will be our final home game,” Knull said, "They're a phenomenal team, and for us, it's coming out and playing our game, playing really disciplined defense.”

MSU field hockey will face the No. 1 Wildcats at Ralph Young Field on Sunday, Oct. 27th at 1 p.m.

Share and discuss “MSU field hockey earns first conference win against No. 16 Iowa in OT thriller” on social media.