Sunday, October 13, 2024

Kerrigan bags brace as MSU men's soccer tops No. 25 Wisconsin

<p>Michigan State senior midfielder Sean Kerrigan (20) celebrates with teammate junior midfielder Jonathan Stout (6) after scoring a goal against Wisconsin at DeMartin stadium on Oct. 11, 2024.</p>

Michigan State senior midfielder Sean Kerrigan (20) celebrates with teammate junior midfielder Jonathan Stout (6) after scoring a goal against Wisconsin at DeMartin stadium on Oct. 11, 2024.

Michigan State men’s soccer clinched a tightly contested victory over No. 25 Wisconsin Friday night, powered by two moments of brilliance from senior midfielder Sean Kerrigan.

The Spartans took the lead in the 9th minute as junior midfielder Jonathan Stout cut the ball back to Kerrigan, who tucked it away, setting the tone for a dominant MSU first half.

Just 12 minutes later, Kerrigan struck again, this time sweeping the ball into the bottom right corner to give MSU a two-goal cushion.

dsc09070

MSU head coach Damon Rensing made two changes to his starting lineup, bringing Kerrigan and senior forward Levin Gerhardt in for sophomore midfielder Colin Arce and senior midfielder Shion Soga. Soga’s absence resulted from a red card at the end of MSU’s 2-1 loss to Maryland on Saturday.

The Spartans maintained a 4-3-3 formation, their go-to for much of the season, but shifted to a 4-2-4 in attack. Stout played a free-roam role and found space in the final third to create chances.

Early goals have been a rarity for the Spartans, who often create chances but struggle to finish. 

"Feels great, the two goals in one half," Rensing said postgame. "They were great goals."

dsc08962

MSU dominated the first half, stifling the Badgers’ attempts to create scoring opportunities. Junior fullback Jeremy Sharp began situating himself in attack as the Spartans sensed blood, capitalizing on their momentum against a ranked opponent. With relentless pressure, they gave Wisconsin little time on the ball, setting the pace and controlling the game.

As the second half began, Wisconsin made adjustments and started pressing harder, gaining more control of possession in the final third. The Badgers piled on the pressure, but MSU’s defense, anchored by freshman defender Brandon Munson, was resolute.

"We were really hard to break down," Rensing said. "Our possession was very good at times."

Munson, who has been a consistent performer since the season's outset, continued to impress.

"Brandon was sick, that’s the only reason he didn’t start the first game," Rensing said. "He’s very confident, aggressive, very good going forward."

The Spartans showed their defensive resilience as they began to lose control in the final third. Despite Wisconsin’s efforts to mount a late comeback, MSU held firm, sealing an important victory with its defensive solidarity and shooting touch.

With four wins out of six in conference play and a 5-5-2 overall record, MSU turns its attention to a bout with Indiana on Oct. 18th.

Share and discuss “Kerrigan bags brace as MSU men's soccer tops No. 25 Wisconsin” on social media.