Monday, September 16, 2024

MSU volleyball to play home opener Friday

<p>Michigan State Fr. Taylah Holdem serves against Rutgers during their game on Oct. 1, 2023, at the Jack Breslin Student Events Center. Holdems' Spartans defeated the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in Four Sets.</p>

Michigan State Fr. Taylah Holdem serves against Rutgers during their game on Oct. 1, 2023, at the Jack Breslin Student Events Center. Holdems' Spartans defeated the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in Four Sets.

Michigan State volleyball is back in East Lansing for its third year under head coach Leah Johnson. 

After starting the 2024 season 1-2, the Spartans will play their home opener against Western Kentucky on Friday, Sept. 6, with first serve at 7 p.m. at Breslin Center.

Western Kentucky, 2-1, has a slight statistical advantage against the Spartans in almost every main category, averaging 12.8 kills to MSU's 11.9 and 12.3 assists per set to the Spartans' 10.1.

MSU junior outside hitter Akasha Anderson has accumulated the most kills total and per set for MSU in its first three matches. Anderson already has 37 total kills and averages 3.36 kills per set. 

Senior Rachel Muisenga is the Spartans’ top setter so far with 48 assists, averaging 4.36 assists per set. Right behind her is senior setter Julia Bishop, who has 46 assists and averages 4.18 assists per set. 

However, through three matches, the Spartans have averaged more aces per set (1.7) than that of the Hilltoppers (1.2). Western Kentucky also averages more blocks and digs per set than Michigan State. 

The Spartans are 2-0 against Western Kentucky. The last time the two teams faced was in 2016, when Michigan State clinched a nail-biting 3-2 set victory. 

Western Kentucky is the first of a three-game home series as part of the second annual Kathy DeBoer Invitational. Michigan State will also play Marist College and Loyola University of Chicago on Sept. 7 and Sept. 8.

Big Ten Plus is streaming the match and msuspartans.com will host a live video broadcast.

Share and discuss “MSU volleyball to play home opener Friday” on social media.