Monday, September 16, 2024

Preview: MSU football faces early season Big Ten test against Maryland

<p>Michigan State head coach Jonathan Smith adjusts his headset during his first game at Michigan State, ending with a 16-10 Spartan victory against Florida Atlantic at Spartan Stadium on Aug. 30, 2024.</p>

Michigan State head coach Jonathan Smith adjusts his headset during his first game at Michigan State, ending with a 16-10 Spartan victory against Florida Atlantic at Spartan Stadium on Aug. 30, 2024.

Many questions still loom large for Michigan State football after its dull, 16-10 victory last week against Florida Atlantic. On Saturday, the Spartans will face Maryland on the road in what will be a telling test for the green and white.

Maryland is no Florida Atlantic -- it's bigger, stronger and faster. Terrapin teams in recent years have embodied Big Ten football, and this year appears no different. Maryland is coming off a 50-7 beatdown of a below-average Connecticut team, where it laid down both an offensive and defensive brigade against the Huskies. 

This type of outcome against a lesser team isn't new for Maryland, as head coach Michael Locksley has turned the program around in recent years. Locksley, since 2021, has strung together a 24-16 record with three straight bowl victories for the Terrapins. 

"Transitioning into game two, starting Big Ten play, we’re excited about it," MSU head coach Jonathan Smith said after practice Monday. "Coach Locksley, I got a bunch of respect, he knows how to coach football, and that roster has a lot of good players. We’ve got our work cut out for us coming this Saturday."

While Michigan State holds a 10-4 overall series record, Maryland’s recent success has not stopped short of the Spartans. Over the last two seasons, Maryland has outscored MSU 58-22 during two victories. 

Last season, Maryland brought its balanced offense and powerful defense to Spartan Stadium, beating MSU 31-9. 

In 2024, the Spartans will look to get back onto the winning side of this rivalry. 

Maryland's offense 

Maryland operates under a pass-first offense but isn't afraid to run the ball, either. In 2023, the Terrapins ranked 65th offensively, 22nd in passing and 116th in rushing. They have an inexperienced, yet big offensive line, speedy receivers and powerful running backs that pack a one-two punch.

If the Maryland offense wants to succeed Saturday against a confident MSU defense, it will need a strong performance from junior quarterback Billy Edwards Jr. Edwards has a strong, accurate arm with solid pocket presence and the quick ability to scramble and extend plays, making him a dual-threat QB. 

In Maryland’s season opener against UConn, Edwards went 20-27 with 311 yards and two touchdowns. He also added 39 yards on the ground on five rushes.

The Spartans defense saw similar quarterback play last week against FAU with Cam Fancher, the main difference between the two being that Edwards is a Big Ten quarterback who can beat MSU with his arm. Fancher, while an effective runner, was a non-factor throwing the ball for FAU.

"They have guys that can make you miss, a quarterback with a strong arm who’s a willing runner," Smith said. "Coach Locksley has done it at a high level on that offensive side for a long time. So it’s a serious challenge, different than week one, just in the passing game."

Regarding the Terrapin wide receiver group, it’s clear the Spartan defensive backs will have their hands full. Senior wide receiver Tai Felton had seven catches and one rush for a combined 197 yards and two touchdowns against UConn, while senior wide receiver Kaden Prather contributed six catches for 60 yards. 

Maryland receivers recorded 249 yards-after-catch against UConn, a higher total than the group tallied all last year. It’ll be imperative for the Spartans to wrap up and finish tackles.  

In the 2023 MSU-Maryland matchup, both Felton and Prather combined for over 100 yards receiving, a key for the Terrapins' success. This year, with Felton's speed and Prather’s size and frame, the MSU defense will have to be on high alert from start to finish. 

Expect Michigan State to mix up coverages against Maryland, as these receivers will provide the Spartan secondary with an early-season test.

"What we do is based on what we gotta do to win the game," MSU defensive coordinator Joe Rossi said in a press conference Wednesday. "If that’s press, that’s press. If that’s off, that’s off. If that’s playing cover two all game, that’s playing cover two. If it’s bailing and playing a third all game, that’s what we gotta do. We feel like we have the ability to mix, and the ability to do different things, and each game plan requires something different."

Maryland’s defense 

For the past few years under Locksley, it's Maryland's defense that's been feared rather than its offense. In 2023, Maryland's defense ranked 40th in the nation, third in interceptions with 17 and 32nd in sacks with 33. This season, the group is argued to be even better.

Maryland’s secondary has its ballhawks back from last year. Redshirt senior cornerback Glendon Miller and senior safety Dante Trader Jr. returned this offseason, adding strength and experience to this secondary. 

Against UConn, Miller led the team in tackles with six and recorded his first interception of the season. Trader recorded four tackles. Last season, both combined for 89 tackles and six interceptions. 

Along with Miller and Trader, standout junior defensive back Jalen Huskey, who transferred from Bowling Green, nabbed four interceptions in 2023 en route to being named First Team All-MAC.  

Another new face to this defense is true freshman safety Brandon Jacob, a four-star recruit out of Florida. Jacob started against UConn, and after a decent showing, will likely start in the slot against MSU. 

With the experience and proven skills of Maryland's secondary, look for MSU sophomore quarterback Aidan Chiles and the MSU offense to test Jacob early as the Terrapins' most inexperienced defensive back.  

While the secondary is the strength of this defense, Maryland's front seven is also stout. Its linebacker core is set with strong tacklers and solid blitzers, while also having the ability to drop back into coverage. 

Senior Ruben Hyppolite II and junior Kellan Wyatt are two linebackers the Spartans should have eyes on. Hyppolite, who picked off UConn's quarterback once last week, is a run-stuffer, recording 65 tackles last season. Wyatt is one of the primary blitzing linebackers, recording a team-high four sacks for the Terrapins last season.

During the FAU game last Friday, Michigan State’s offensive line had an abundance of trouble, especially when it came to opening up gaps in the run game. Saturday will bring its first test, as a strong Big Ten defensive line looks to create similar problems. 

Last week, Maryland plugged UConn gaps, holding the Huskies' running game to an average of 2.9 yards per carry on 30 tries.

"They have a good front seven," sixth year running back Kay’ron Lynch-Adams, who scored a 63-yard touchdown against FAU, said Tuesday. "They looked good, they looked aggressive but we’re ready to attack."

This test of strength and grit up front will be a strong barometer of this Spartan offensive line's current standing. 

Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 7, at SECU stadium in College Park. The game will air on FOX.

Share and discuss “Preview: MSU football faces early season Big Ten test against Maryland” on social media.