Sunday, September 22, 2024

MSU field hockey eyes first Big Ten win against rival Michigan

<p>Members of the Michigan State University Field Hockey team huddle up during a match against the University of Vermont at Ralph Young Field on Sep. 6, 2024.</p>

Members of the Michigan State University Field Hockey team huddle up during a match against the University of Vermont at Ralph Young Field on Sep. 6, 2024.

After being shut out 4-0 Friday against No. 6 Ohio State, MSU's field hockey team has an opportunity to rebound against heated rival University of Michigan in its Big Ten home opener.

The Spartans, now 4-3 on the season, had eight shots in the game, four on goal. The Spartans couldn't stop Ohio State's offense as the Buckeyes had 19 shots, nine on goal. 

MSU has been inconsistent so far this season, struggling to find a rhythm between games. Last week, the Spartans won two in a row against Bellarmine and Colgate as they entered Columbus with a 4-2 record.

After being held scoreless for the first time this season, the Spartans will head home to face No. 9 Michigan Monday, Sept. 22 at 3 p.m. at Ralph Young Field.

For Michigan State to have success against Michigan, it will lean on senior forward Emma O’Neil, who leads the team with four assists and ranks second with eight points. MSU will also rely on sophomore forward Bianca Pizano, its leading scorer with five goals and ten points. 

Michigan is 5-1 and on a five-game winning streak after losing its home opener to North Carolina. Ever since, Michigan has outscored its opponents 32-4, outscoring Ohio and Central Michigan a combined 17-0.

Since 2001, MSU only has a handful of wins against Michigan with an overall record of 4-26-1. MSU is on a 12-game losing streak against Michigan, its last win coming in 2014. Since then, MSU has only scored five goals while letting up 45 goals against the Wolverines. Monday will mark the 42nd matchup the in-state rivals. Michigan leads the series all-time, 33-8.  

Michigan State will look to end its losing streak against the Wolverines Monday at Ralph Young Field. Big Ten Network will air the game. 

Share and discuss “MSU field hockey eyes first Big Ten win against rival Michigan” on social media.