Friday, September 20, 2024

Detroit Tigers on the cusp of first playoff appearance in a decade

Photo courtesy of Rey Del Rio/MLB Photos via Getty Images

Just one month ago, making the playoffs seemed like an impossibility for the Detroit Tigers.

As of Friday, they’re tied for the last American League Wild Card spot.

Detroit's recent success has been a surprise to many. At the July all-star break, the Tigers sat three games under .500 and were inconsistent at the plate. A lot had to go right for playoff baseball to come back to the Motor City in 2024. 

Since the all-star break, the Tigers have the best record in the American League, sitting 80-73 overall and tied with the Minnesota Twins for the last spot in the wild card race.

What was once a long shot is now inching closer for "Gritty Tigs," as fans are calling them.

"It really shows that you can’t count any Detroit team out," international relations sophomore Tarik Fermin said. "That was what the 'Bad Boy' Pistons were all about, that was what the 'Megatron' Lions were all about. You just can’t count Detroit out."

Detroit hasn't seen playoff baseball in ten years, with their last October appearance coming at the hands of Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander in 2014 before being swept by the Baltimore Orioles in the divisional series.

For fans, seeing the Tigers back in the playoffs would mean a great deal.

"It would mean everything, honestly," undecided freshman Chris Miller said. "Especially since the Lions are doing good now too, just to add that with the Tigers, if they’re able to keep playing well and make the playoffs, that’d be really really great."

Detroit fans got a taste of what playoffs can bring to a city earlier this year, when the Lions won their first playoff game in 32 years, causing the city to band together and give the world an opportunity to see Detroit in a positive light.

The Tigers returning to the playoffs after a decade-long absence might have a similar effect.

"I think it would be great for the city" political science freshman Nick Szpotek said. "It would be great for the fans of the culture."

The majority of the baseball community wrote off Detroit as contenders after its slow start. For the first few months of the season, the Tigers seemed to move in the opposite direction of where they wanted. Even most Tigers fans didn’t see the playoff push coming. 

"I was already kind of focused on next season, but I think the MLB is definitely surprised," Miller said. "People thought the Tigers were a crappy team, but I think we’re trying to prove them otherwise."

Now officially in the last leg of the race, the question now is whether or not Detroit can maintain its relentless pace that's gotten it to this point. 

"It’s definitely sustainable," Miller said. "The pitching has been so good, and the hitting has started to get better. They’re getting hot at the right time, which is the most important thing."

Being home of the AL Cy Young front-runner Tarik Skubal, Detroit's pitching has been the team's centerpiece. Beyond the leadership and ability of the pitching staff, many fans believe the team's mentality is what matters most from here on out. 

"I think it’s all mentality," Thompson said. "I think they’ve only really lost players since the start of the season and made the players that they’ve had better, so just ride the wave and just keep the good spirits up."

The gritty, never-say-die attitude of the Tigers have put them in a position to become the story of the 2024 MLB season. Who's to say they can't?

"It’s definitely not hype, it’s the real deal." Fermin said. "The Tigers are good and they’re a good team. I believe that."

Detroit will finish the season with three series against the Orioles, Rays, and White Sox.

Share and discuss “Detroit Tigers on the cusp of first playoff appearance in a decade” on social media.