MSU softball prepares for home season opener, will face Indiana

<p>Spartan Brooke Snyder rounds second and heads for third base during her game against the Minnesota Golden Gophers on April 15, 2023.</p>

Spartan Brooke Snyder rounds second and heads for third base during her game against the Minnesota Golden Gophers on April 15, 2023.

Michigan State softball has had a rough season so far — the Spartans are 13-19 overall and 1-5 in Big Ten play.

On April 5th, however, the Michigan State softball team looks to bounce back from a 1-2 series loss against Iowa as the Spartans will take on Indiana at home in a three-game series over the weekend, the first games they will play at home this season so far.

The Spartans have been struggling to get the ball in play, having the lowest batting average in the Big Ten, averaging .249. The Spartans only have 198 hits on the season in 795 at-bats. They have also been struggling to drive in runs, as the Spartans have the second-lowest runs scored in the Big Ten with 115, and are only in front of Iowa who have a total of 108 runs scored this season so far. 

As for the pitching, the Spartans have not been great either as they have an earned run average of 3.99 per game, which is 10th in the Big Ten. The Spartans have also allowed 225 hits on the season, placing seventh in the Big Ten. 

The Indiana Hoosiers, though they have a great overall record of 23-12, are currently winless in conference play with a record of 0-6 so far and second-to-last in the Big Ten, two spots below Michigan State.

The first game between the Spartans and the Hoosiers will begin on Friday, April 5 at 5 p.m. at Secchia Stadium in East Lansing. 

Share and discuss “MSU softball prepares for home season opener, will face Indiana” on social media.