MSU club CTRL+A celebrates APIDA heritage month with 6th annual spring showcase

Dancers smile at the crowd while performing during CTRL+A’s annual spring showcase at the MSU Union on April 14, 2024.

Michigan State University’s CTRL+A organization hosted its annual spring showcase event on its 6th anniversary to celebrate the organization this past Sunday, April 14. 

MSU’s CTRL+A student organization strives to represent the Asian Pacific Islander Desi American community and culture by celebrating diversity through dance performances. While APIDA Heritage Month is observed in the month of May, many MSU organizations choose to celebrate in April, before the end of the academic year.

CTRL+A’s President and biomedical laboratory science and human biology senior Angelina Au-Tran said the name of the organization originates from the computer command control and A, which selects all text on a page.

“We are stating that we are an all-inclusive dance organization,” Au-Tran said. “We are inclusive of our members being diverse, and just being all-inclusive as long as you're willing to learn about APIDA community as well as just willing to want to do just learn about our Asian interest dance org.”

ctrla-mw-05

Au-Tran said that CTRL+A hosts a showcase every semester, but also hosts general member workshops, where members are welcome to stop by, and public workshops.

Performer and advertising senior Marisol Vasquez said she chooses to participate in events like the showcase because of two main reasons.

“I like to dance and you know, I need to get more involved on campus and it was my last year so I was like, why not?” Vasquez said.

Furthermore, Vasquez said her favorite part about events like showcases CTRL+A offers is going to practices and being with other members of the organization

ctrla-mw-04

Similarly, Au-Tran said her favorite part about hosting events like the spring showcase is the ability to show APIDA culture and dance to the community.a

“Our showcase does broadcast about like APIDA community as well as just as Asian interest dance orgs, and it's just really just helpful to see us being able to incorporate our community (and) our culture into our dance style and being able to just showcase that to people,” Au-Tran said.

Attendee Yesenia Vazquez said she came to the showcase to see her sister, Marisol Vasquez, perform.

“This is my sister's last performance, she is going to graduate soon, so we just came to support the last time,” Yesenia Vazquez said.

ctrla-mw-02

Marisol Vasquez said she hoped to "redeem herself" during her performance after last semester, when she made a mistake while performing her dance.

Au-Tran hoped audiences enjoyed the showcase that all members of the organization worked hard to host and participate in.

“I just hope to make people enjoy just seeing of course, our dance performance, as our choreographers do work hard on it and our performers, as well as just like enjoying what we have put out for them as well as just taking in the Asian interest dance community or just like just our dances,” Au-Tran said. “They are really fun, exciting.”

Yesenia Vasquez said she looks forward to attending more events held by CTRL+A.

“Just like workshops, I like to do drop-ins,” Vasquez said.

For more information on MSU’s CTRl+A organization, visit their website.

ctrla-mw-07

Share and discuss “MSU club CTRL+A celebrates APIDA heritage month with 6th annual spring showcase” on social media.