Sunday, April 28, 2024

U.S. House passes bill to ban TikTok, MSU students react

Photo Illustration by Chloe Trofatter
Photo Illustration by Chloe Trofatter

After much discourse over the past few years, the popular social media app TikTok is under threat of being banned after the United States House of Representatives passed a bill today. With a majority vote of 352-65, the bill, in practice, forces ByteDance, the app's parent company, to sell TikTok or be banned for over 150 million users across the country. 

House representatives cited privacy fears regarding China's access to users' private data and called for TikTok to be divested from the Chinese government.

However, the bill still needs to pass at the Senate and Presidential level. In 2020, a similar ban on TikTok was called for but didn't materialize, and in December of 2022, President Biden banned the app on federal government phones.

Many Michigan State University students who engage with the social media platform on a daily basis shared their thoughts on this bill.

"I think the concerns that lawmakers have over TikTok – I don’t think they're outlandish,” social relations and policy freshman Maddie Robbins said. “But, I do think focusing on this legislation at this time is kind of a waste compared to other issues going on not only in our own country, but things globally that we can have an impact on."

Robbins said the legislation could instead focus on a ceasefire within occupied Palestinian territories, reproductive rights and LGBTQIA people whose rights are being "taken away."

"There's so much violence and so much negativity going on with our own country, that it feels like a distraction to be focusing on social media," Robbins said. 

Dietetics senior Abby Costello said she "mindlessly" scrolls on TikTok and would be really upset because she enjoys the educational and entertaining content on TikTok. In her opinion, a full ban on TikTok could have negative effects and Instagram Reels use would be "off the charts." 

"I'm not sure if a complete ban would be helpful, but I like to appreciate that (the government is) concerned about it," Costello said. "I think there would definitely be, like, an uprising of people would be really upset about it, especially with everything going on right now and how it's being used for, like, awareness (in Gaza)."

International relations freshman Eleanor Pugh deleted TikTok because she wasted a lot of her time on the app and wanted to have better time management. Pugh said she would be suprised if the app did get banned. 

"It's a very strong government measure," Pugh said. "A lot of people will think it's, like, too much of a government overreach, to have it banned for everybody. I might think that a little bit unless there are true security concerns."

As TikTok is a way for many influencers and users to gain followers, Pugh said, a potential could impact those who are trying to make a name for themselves. 

Robbins, who uses TikTok for entertainment and to stay in touch with the world, thinks it's "very unlikely" that the government actually bans TikTok.

"The addiction qualities that exist within TikTok can be somewhat replicated and other things,” Robbins said. ​​"I think other social media platforms would have the chance to, kind of, want to take over. I don't think the addictive qualities are unique to TikTok, and people with short attention spans will find the next thing to consume."

Share and discuss “U.S. House passes bill to ban TikTok, MSU students react” on social media.