MSU professor charged with possession of child pornography, placed on administrative leave

Minskoff Pavilion, new building of MSU College of Business, photographed on July 25.

A Michigan State University professor in the Broad Business College has been charged with six counts of "child pornography-related allegations," according to the Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office.

Iskandar Arifin, a 49 year old Meridian Township resident, was charged with three counts of possessing "child sexually abusive material" and three related counts of using a computer device to commit a crime. 

Arifin was placed on administrative leave pending the investigation, MSU spokesperson Emily Guerrant said. MSU's Office of Institutional Equity has also opened a case, in accordance with MSU policy, Guerrant said. 

Arifin allegedly accessed "child sexually abusive material" on May 28, 2022 in his Okemos apartment, according to case documents. 

The Michigan State Police Computer Crimes Unit, Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force investigated Arifin. 

"The investigation and prosecution of child pornography is a critical function of law enforcement, protecting children and communities," Prosecutor John Dewane said in a press release. "When a suspect is also an educator, our concern is heightened. I commend the Michigan State Police and the officers of the Computer Crimes Unit for their outstanding work on this investigation."

image

Arifin has been a fixed-term faculty member in MSU’s finance department since 2019, according to his faculty profile. He’s taught FI312: Introduction to Investment, FI32: Theory of Investments, FI355: Computer Applications in Financial Modeling and FI801: Managerial Finance. 

Arifin has two scheduled hearings in Mason’s 55th District Court: a pre-conference probable cause hearing on March 12 at 8:30 a.m. and a preliminary hearing on March 19 at 9:30 a.m. 

Share and discuss “MSU professor charged with possession of child pornography, placed on administrative leave” on social media.