Wednesday, May 1, 2024

MSU board presents resolution honoring Interim President Woodruff for her leadership as term set to end in March

The MSU Board of Trustees honor Interm President Teresa Woodruff with a resolution at the close of a Board of Trustee's meeting in East Lansing, Mich., Feb. 2, 2024. The Board of Trustees fielded comments from the public, including the divestment of the university's assets from Israel.

Michigan State University’s Board of Trustees passed a resolution honoring Interim President Teresa Woodruff for her "steadfast commitment" to the university as her term comes to an end. 

Board chair Rema Vassar presented the resolution during Friday’s board meeting.

"Dr. Woodruff has diligently worked to strengthen the partnerships and relationships both within the university and externally, including with faculty, staff, students, along with legislators, donors and community," Vassar said. 

Woodruff stepped into the role in November 2022, after then-president Samuel Stanley resigned, saying he had lost faith in the board. 

Vice Chairperson Dan Kelly personally commended Woodruff’s work in completing the presidential search for her successor. He also said he was pleased Woodruff would be returning to MSU as a faculty member. 

"I appreciate that you're staying with the university," Kelly said. 

Dianne Byrum said Woodruff went "above and beyond" as interim president, and aptly handled challenges she was faced with. 

"You rose to the occasion and you led the university with pride and Spartan spirit," Byrum said. 

During her presentation of the resolution, Vassar commended Woodruff’s leadership during the Feb. 13, 2023 campus mass shooting. 

During the faculty liaison report to the board, Chair of Faculty Senate Jack Lipton thanked Woodruff for her leadership. 

"We want to commend President Woodruff for her service and leadership through some truly tumultuous dark and traumatizing times," Lipton said. "Throughout it all she has remained optimistic, solutions-oriented and laser focused on the welfare of this university."

Woodruff will return as a faculty member and researcher at MSU in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology.

Share and discuss “MSU board presents resolution honoring Interim President Woodruff for her leadership as term set to end in March” on social media.