Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Reimbursement for mental health services used in wake of MSU mass shooting now available

A vigil sits outside the fence of the Union on Feb. 20, 2023. The day before, 'Spartan Sunday' was held on campus where students and the community came together to take back the campus after a mass shooting took place on Feb. 13, 2023.

Michigan State University announced Thursday that students, staff, faculty and first responders can now apply for reimbursements for mental health services used in the wake of the Feb. 13, 2023 mass shooting

The funds come from the Spartan Strong Fund, which raised $2 million from approximately 4,200 donors in the wake of the shooting. On June 9, 2023 MSU announced that $500,000 of the proceeds would be used to reimburse or directly pay for first responder and mental health care services for students, faculty and staff. 

The June press release said additional information would be shared “soon” about how to seek reimbursement costs relating to mental health services

Qualifying out-of-pocket expenses include deductibles, co-pays, or co-insurance relating to out-patient counseling and mental health care services, including tele-health, in-patient hospitalization with a mental health diagnosis and residential mental health treatment. 

Students, faculty, staff and first responders can visit the UHW Spartan Strong Fund webpage to apply

“We are forever grateful to the generosity of thousands of people who helped our community on a path to healing through the Spartan Strong Fund,” Interim President Teresa Woodruff said in a press release. “Mental health services and support have been an essential part of individuals’ recovery, and it was a priority to support these efforts with the fund.” 

Reimbursements are available for both individuals with insurance and without it. Applicants with insurance must submit an electronic version of an invoice or Explanation of Benefits and proof of payment. Individuals without insurance must submit an electronic version of an invoice from their health care provider and proof of payment. 

According to the webpage, reimbursements, in full or in part, will be subject to the availability of funds. MSU is encouraging individuals to submit their reimbursement requests as soon as possible

The remaining $1.5 million from the Spartan Strong Fund 

Of the $2 million raised through the Spartan Strong Fund, $1 million was designated to support those most directly affected by the shooting, including the five injured, the families of the deceased and approximately 50 individuals who were physically uninjured and present in one of the two first-floor Berkey Hall classrooms or the food court kitchen inside the MSU Union.

In a Nov. 17, 2023 State News report, then-MSU spokesperson Dan Olsen said the 50 individuals received institutional grants this fall. He also said the university was in ongoing conversations with the families of the deceased to identify additional needs that are unmet by state and federal victim compensation. 

In December, MSU settled claims with the three families of the students who were killed in the shooting.

$200,000 of the $2 million was designated to fund healing and resiliency programming through the Office for Resource and Support Coordination for students, faculty, staff and first responders.

$300,000 of the $2 million was designated to fund a permanent memorial on MSU’s campus

In the November report, Olsen said a committee made up of students, faculty and staff was in the planning process for the memorial. The committee was planning public engagement opportunities during the spring semester, he said

Share and discuss “Reimbursement for mental health services used in wake of MSU mass shooting now available” on social media.