Wednesday, May 1, 2024

MSU National Pan-Hellenic Council holds blankets, card-making event to support community

<p>A student decorates her card with a colorful design, Jan. 19, 2024.</p>

A student decorates her card with a colorful design, Jan. 19, 2024.

Students gathered in the Student Services Building last night to attend a blanket and card-making event hosted by Michigan State University’s National Pan-Hellenic Council, or NPHC.

MSU NPHC members and non-members alike attended the event to meet new people and create products that will be sent to children going through hardships as a gesture of comfort.

NPHC External Vice President and psychology senior Lillian Lockhart came to the event. Lockhart, who is also a member of the Delta Zeta Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., said NPHC stands to bring nine sororities and fraternities together by serving communities. 

“We govern nine sororities and fraternities on MSU’s campus," Lockhart said. "So, each sorority and fraternity is mainly service based. We’re all different, but we all have the common purpose of serving our communities.”

Associative Students of MSU, or ASMSU, representative and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. member Joya Bailey was one of many coordinators for this effort. Bailey said events like these are hosted in order to attract like-minded individuals.

“We throw events like this so people who are interested in doing that community action can get to know the people in the NPHC,” Bailey said.

Bailey said they try to host service-based events at least once a month to promote and emphasize the importance of community. The more they can do, the better, she said.

nphcmeeting-2

Lockhart's favorite parts of this event included the turnout and unity it promoted among both the NPHC community and MSU’s student community.

“My favorite part is seeing everyone come out," Lockhart said. "I like getting to meet new people because, like, I don’t know some of these people so it’s really nice to have like different crowds in one room.”

Among the students that attended the event was electrical engineering freshman Amarion Bean. Bean came to the blanket and card making event to "try something new."

“I really wanted to experience making a blanket," Bean said. "I never did that before, and I saw on the flyer that they had blanket making and I wanted to try with my best friend."

nphcmeeting-7

For chemistry sophomore Jessica Norwood, this wasn’t her first NPHC event that she's attended. Norwood said she especially enjoys the opportunities these events offer to meet new people.

“My favorite thing is definitely like the connections that you make when you’re in there, just to be outgoing (and) get out of your comfort zone,” Norwood said. “I think it’s important to do that, to just meet people around you.”

Norwood added she is looking to attend more NPHC events in the future.

“Just the mingling, coming together to do something good for the community, I love that,” she said.

For more information about MSU’s NPHC, visit the official website.

nphcmeeting-5

Share and discuss “MSU National Pan-Hellenic Council holds blankets, card-making event to support community” on social media.